Menu

May be taking my dd to Charleston, SC for a visit...

That is only 3 hours from us. It may be only us....mother and daughter.

Last time we were, as a family, we stayed in the hotel right at the base of the bridge. Forget the name. Can you recommend some clean, but inexpensive ones close by or downtown?

Will be stick out like a sore thumb for my dd to be out of school and we are bee-bopping around during school days? This will be days TH/Fri this month or next.

What would you recommend we do? And, we is the closest public beach access with parking?

Thanks. Sheryl <><

We just made our family day trip to Charleston this past Friday. We live 3 hours south of Charleston. I don't think your dd will stick out not being in school. It's a very popular off-season tourist area so you'll see lots of families with children around. We went to the USS Yorktown and there was a large mix of school groups, veterans groups, and families on board the ship.

We did pass a Holiday Inn at the base of one of the bridges that was pretty cool because it was round, like the old Capitol Records building in Los Angeles. As we drove Hwy 17 from the interstate, we passed several nice chain hotels, like the Comfort Inn chain, Fairfield Inn chain, etc that looked well-kept from the road and had fairly full parking lots. Most advertised free hot breakfasts, which is a big plus for our family on a budget. Several of them were under $80/night or lower since it's the off-season. When my husband and I went by ourselves, we did the free walking tour supplied by the Historic Charleston Foundation for the historic district downtown. The streets seemed fairly safe during the day and at night. The Aquarium was nice but might be pricey depending on your budget. If you leave during the day, a trip to Drayton Hall on the outskirts of Charleston is fun. It's an old plantation house that is restored as a museum. There are always preservation and restoration craftsmen working on it. I love old buildings so most of our trips are focused on the historic architecture and preservation of Charleston. I know other boardies will have different perspectives to share. Can't wait to hear them!

Did you stay in Mount Pleasant at the base of the Cooper River Bridge? I think it is a Comfort Inn.

Don't be fooled by that Holiday Inn, as it is gross!

As for beach access, if you drive through Mount Pleasant and onto the Isle of Palms, there is a wonderful public access with safe parking, restrooms, and picnic areas. It is just a few minutes from Mount Pleasant, depending on the traffic.

We always stay in Mount Pleasant at the Hampton Inn there. It's clean, offers free breakfast, and it's the perfect location between Charleston and Isle of Palms (great beach there).

Definitely take a carriage tour of the city. You can learn so much about the area: its past, its architecture, and its role in the Civil War. We've never been to Fort Sumter, but we are looking to go there. I've heard that's a great historical experience. Just walking around Charleston and relaxing in the Battery area is wonderful.

Be sure to eat at Jestine's Kitchen - a tiny little place on Meeting Street (I think) that serves the best coconut cream pie ever! Charleston is one of my favorite places to visit! Enjoy your trip! :)