Menu

I have to admit it...

LunaLee

I'm trying MCT this year.

I'm liking it for my 6th grader, but that's because she's had three solid years of Rod and Staff already, so Grammar Voyage is pretty easy for her.

Still not sure how I feel about my third grader's progress...(Island level)...

I really like it, but ds is doing well with Saxon (after 2 years of R&S) and I just can't find a way to make it all work. Ds's benefits from some of it, but other parts not so much. And although I thought the presentation would work for him, it doesn't...Oh heavy sigh...

So bye-bye now...bye-bye...

:grouphug: We have dropped it, too (well, mostly -- we are still finishing up Practice Island). DD and I enjoyed it, but we decided to try something new this year. I think that in some ways it is because we should have started with Town level, but I was really worried that she was too young. We started with Island and she wasn't thrilled with the parts that were review for her, and she asked for something she could do more independently. We just switched to Voyages in English 5 and it is actually going very smoothly -- I think the parts of MCT that were new to her were excellent preparation for it. I am still toying with the idea of going back to MCT at the middle school levels, but for now I just have to concede that it wasn't a great fit for DD.

I wonder if you can share what about it is not working for you. I have looked at MCT for future use, and I would love to hear your story.

It was the presentation of it all. It is definately a program that is not meant to be done independently, and that is the way ds prefers to learn. That's why Saxon is working well for us in both LA & Math. Ds reads the lesson, does the lesson practice, we go over it together and discuss any issues and then he moves on to the mixed practice and he corrects it himself, then we talk about the problems he gets wrong.

I still may try to use the Practice book and maybe incorporate some of the the Paragraph Town, but it's unlikely as this year I'm needing things I don't have to tweak and force. I need something that's easy to implement and open and go for both us.