Menu

Those of you who use R&S math a year ahead...

lotsofpumpkins

I think that R&S 1st grade math is great for Kindergarten (having used it with my now-2nd-grader when he was in K), and I'm getting ready to start my current K'er in it. My question is this- although R&S starts off slow and gentle, it does "catch up" to other programs. So, if you have your child using it a year ahead, do you find that a 3rd grader has problems learning long division (which is in the 4th grade book), for example? Do you end up slowing back down at some point?

Well, I'm using Math Mammoth a year ahead and yes we are slowing down. My 3rd grader finished 3rd grade math in Sept and we are taking a break to work math facts, borrowing in subtraction and he wants to learn the Chinese Abacus. We'll start MM 4a in January and my goal is for him to finish MM5 by the end of 5th grade.

Highlands Latin School uses Rod & Staff Math, and I think they use the first half of Grade 1 in K and the second half of Grade 1 in Grade 1. If you don't want to split it up here, you could do this in 3rd grade. This would have you doing only half of the 4th grade book in 3rd and the rest of it in 4th. You could always supplement those years with problem solving books, games, etc.

I do think the Grade 4 text really steps up the math after going through their Grades 1-3. We have used R&S Grade 3-6 and now Grade 8. My younger dd is quick with math so we are using Singapore as our main text, but I still supplement with R&S.

I have one using it a full year ahead, and then some, but she wasn't using R&S in third grade. She's in fifth grade this year, and is well into the grade 6 book. So far she hasn't had the need to slow down. She likes math and understands it easily.

My little ones are moving ahead pretty quickly too, but neither is to the grade 4 book yet. They both seem to grasp math concepts with ease, and R&S makes it easy to slow down if needed. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I have found the Sinagapore 3 and R & S 4 compliment each other nicely. We ususally do R & S on the white board or aloud. I would suggest that you go at the pace of your child. If you dc needs more time on a unit, take more time. It is so easy to make your own worksheets for extra practice.

Just to hijack...is their grammar the same way? Is it unthinkable to use their Grammar 2 in 1st grade?

No, their grammar is considered quite advanced. Many people actually use it a year or two behind. My 2nd and 3rd graders are using the grammar at grade-level. The 2nd grade book is pretty gentle and only takes a few minutes to do orally each day. But in the 3rd grade they start diagramming and I think it'd be too difficult to use with a 2nd grader. I haven't used the other levels yet, but I've heard that they get pretty difficult, and if the child can finish grade 6 by the time they complete 8th grade, then they are doing fine.

No, their grammar is considered quite advanced. Many people actually use it a year or two behind. My 2nd and 3rd graders are using the grammar at grade-level. The 2nd grade book is pretty gentle and only takes a few minutes to do orally each day. But in the 3rd grade they start diagramming and I think it'd be too difficult to use with a 2nd grader. I haven't used the other levels yet, but I've heard that they get pretty difficult, and if the child can finish grade 6 by the time they complete 8th grade, then they are doing fine.

Thank you! Very helpful. :)

We're only on lesson 23, but so far dd8 (3rd grade) is doing fine in R&S 4th grade math book.

We are also doing the 3rd grade English, which also seems to be right on track for her. I agree that I wouldn't want to try to work a year ahead in English.

Take care,

Suzanne