Menu

Should I worry about instructional vs. independent level?

Rivka

For reading instruction, my kindergartener reads a book aloud every day. We supplement with short phonics lessons on the whiteboard if a concept seems to need more practice.

She's mostly reading I Can Read Level 3 and the equivalent, although she's also joyfully working through the Amelia Bedelia books at Level 2. In an average 50-page Level 3 book, there will be:

- 3 or 4 words that she mis-reads the first time but reads when prompted to try again. These seem to be just careless mistakes.

- 2 or 3 words where she needs to be briefly reminded of a phonics rule ("that c is followed by e, so...?") or given a suggestion about how to segment, and then she reads the word on her own.

- 1 or 2 words that she needs signficant help with.

I've seen great improvement in her fluency, stamina, and expressiveness, as well as her enjoyment of reading, over the last couple of months. She can focus on reading a book for half an hour without increasing her error rate.

From the metrics I've seen posted here, these books would be considered at her "independent" reading level (less than five mistakes per 100 words). Do you think that matters? Should we be encouraging her to read more difficult books, in which her errors will be more frequent? Or is it okay to just stay here for a while, getting more and more fluent and automatic?

If we should increase the difficulty, what comes next? She is intimidated by the idea of reading chapter books. I know there's an I Can Read Level 4, but I don't think our library has any of those. Any recommended titles?

If chapter books are intimidating, a great next step for kids in your daughter's situation is to have her read picture books. By picture books I mean the ones that are written with the intention that adults will read them to children. They are frequently written at a 4th-6th grade reading level.

Part of the problem is the step from reading those to the next level up chapter books is hard. Have you talked to the librarians?

Seems like the next step up might be like Henry and Mudge or Nate the Great.

But then you are at Flat Stanley and Magic Tree House. Have you tried those? Do you do it where she reads a page then you do?

I also think at this age it is more important that reading is fun than that she is pushing her limits everytime. If she is enjoying them just keep going!

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, she's reading Henry and Mudge, High Rise Private Eyes, Young Cam Jansen, etc. comfortably.

I will comb our picture book shelves for likely options. She has been pretty convinced that she can only read books that say "I Can Read" (or other series designations), but it's probably time to get over that idea. I also picked up some Magic Treehouse books at the thrift store today, and she seemed to be interested in them. We'll see what happens when she actually sits down to read one.

My main concern was if we should be encouraging her to move on to more challenging material. Thanks for the reminder that in kindergarten it's okay to just stop and smell the roses. :D

I am the one that has been posing it, and IMO it really only is a guideline for the kids that struggle. If you have a child who is reading well, and ahead of their instruction, just let them go.

My oldest was reading at a 3rd grade level by the end of grade 1, where they only got as far as silent e long vowels. By the end of 2nd she was reading at a 7th grade level. I just made sure to keep a variety of levels around.

The guide line worked better for my other three, who all have had more challenges in learning to read, so it helped me keep the pace at a level that didn't frustrate them. My oldest I never could keep up with.

You can try the Disney Tinkerbell books, Thirdgrade Directives, regular Cam Jansen, and Nate the Great. But if she really isn't into chapter books I wouldn't worry, just keep the picture books coming and a few of the others around. Eventually it will click.

Heather

She is reading well enough that I would not push her at all. Rather give her lots of choices, easy and harder. If she chooses something that seems harder, then prep her ahead of time by reviewing words/meanings that you anticipate difficulty. #1 priority is feeding her love of reading and her choosing to read. Keep that up and your job is cake! Motivation and interest can make a more difficult book more accessible. Keep her loving it!

Independent means it is material they can read and have basic comprehension for without help which these books sound like. They are great books to read especially for fluency and voice. But I would read another harder book with her that is more instructional. As you pick out a new book consider what phonics skills she has learned and is ready to see in print such as multisyllabic words or more complex vowel combinations. Also the jump from picture to chapter books may be scary because there is more words and a longer book. I love to make chapter book mini books to fill in as we finish a chapter just so they remember but if you have been doing a lot of chapter books for reading to your children it may not be such a big problem.