Menu

Good Bible Curriculum?

littleWMN

I've discovered that we "need" a Bible curriculum for my 9 and 5 year old daughters. I don't generally use textbooks but I'm open to that for this subject. I'd like traditional Bible stories, illustrations, and a few crafts would be fine too. What is Abeka Bible like? Other suggestions? THANKS!!

I'm loving Karyn Henley materials.

This year we're doing the Day by Day Hope for kids through the week. You could look at samples to see if it might fit both kids. I think it might though I don't have a nine year old to say for sure. It does use bible passages or stories each day but it's not chronological but rather theme oriented around a verse concept. You could look at the samples and see if they might fit your needs. http://karynhenley.com/site_pages/home_ed_new.htm#anchor_Hope If you look at the first week of the Day by Day Hope I use the key verse as our memory verse for the week and then all the devotions that week tie into that biblical principal. I really like her stuff and these are good on a daily basis here as they aren't time consuming but are meaningful. That said, they don't go through the bible chronologically.

Her first and second grade curriculum materials do go through chronologically. First grade is the Old Testament and second grade is the New Testament. http://karynhenley.com/site_pages/curriculum_new.htm I mention because both have suggestions for adapting for older students. I don't know if they would fit both but they might. I use the first grade on the week-ends here (over two days/I would have to cut out material to fit it on one day I think) and these are structured in a weekly schedule. That said, the first grade lessons have a story (sometimes two) and then four activities to go with the story or stories. So they could be adapted for daily if you wanted chronological I think. I like the "hands on" nature of these plans and, like all her materials I've used, I find them meaningful and developmentally appropriate. We've got an old testament timeline from the books building around our kitchen.

I like everything I've ever seen from her.

Another idea might be Grapevine studies. I tried them and I think they would be really good for some kids especially at older ages. They are better used weekly as well at least in my experience and they weren't active enough for us--you tell the story as you draw it in stick figures while the children draw the story in stick figures as well. If a child were really into drawing and didn't need activity they might be a perfect fit. I had originally intended to do them along with the Karyn Henley but they just didn't fit for one of mine particularly right now.

I've discovered that we "need" a Bible curriculum for my 9 and 5 year old daughters. I don't generally use textbooks but I'm open to that for this subject. I'd like traditional Bible stories, illustrations, and a few crafts would be fine too. What is Abeka Bible like? Other suggestions? THANKS!!

We love Grapevine. We're doing NT this year.