Menu

For you HOD lovers...

Is it worth it to buy the program IF you plan on using different math, different language arts (at least for part, not all), and different science. :001_huh:

I guess I'd be using it for the history, Bible study, literature, art, and not sure what else is in there...

I'm thinking I'd still like to use it, but I just want to see what others think. And as a side note, I'm not worried about the "philosophy" behind the program, I'm not concerned whether or not we stick to CM or what not. The reason I want the program is for the incorporated Bible....

Thanks!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Yes.

I am using a different math and adding on to the science. I at first thought I would use a different LA but ended up really liking her LA. I think it is worth it for the Bible and History alone though.

Yes, but I caution you to be careful. If you buy a math, LA, and science that are more time consuming then what HOD has scheduled, you may really begin to feel the load of a very heavy history schedule (especially in Preparing and up manuals).

Yes! You can use whatever components of HOD that you want to use. The history and Bible are so good. Depending on what guide you use, you may want to include some of the science, even if you use another science program. The science coordinates with the history and even if you just read the books and not do the activities, the books add alot to the history. Alot of HOD users use something other than Singapore for math. Even if you use a different language arts program, you will probably enjoy having some writing assignments that coordinate with the rest of your study. For example, you may use something else to actually teach writing but still complete the creative writing assignments or use the HOD schedule to plan out your written narrations. You can't beat the literature, in my opinion.

I agree the the pp. Yes! We are using BHFHG for only the left side which includes Bible, history, rotating history activity (geography, history activity, artistic expression, and vocabualry), and poetry along with read alouds on the right side. It overlaps some with WWE but in a more CM way. We do use SM, but are using different language arts, science, and cursive. This is my third year homeschooling, and it is the best year yet. The author pulls everything together sooooo well!

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Yes.

I am using a different math and adding on to the science. I at first thought I would use a different LA but ended up really liking her LA. I think it is worth it for the Bible and History alone though.

I want to clarify that I am only adding on to the science because my 5th grader is using Preparing, which is for slightly younger grades. They recommend adding on to it if you do this.

I also am adding on to LHFHG because the younger guides do not have much focus on science.

Thank you all! We are definitely looking to use a different math. Language arts - we would some but not all of it. Science - I'd have to see how I feel but at this point I'm thinking we'd probably add more. We're looking to do Beyond.

Thanks for your input!

Dd is doing CTC History, Bible, Math Grammar and Science. Next year I may not use the Science. I find that it is worth the money but, I do not have a *really* tight budget. If you do, it may seem like you are not getting "your money's worth".

HOD has been such a blessing to me as a mom and the CTC has helped my dd find independence in her learning and that is worth the money to me in and of itself. She is also getting the idea that learning is progressive and deliberate and this is a big jump from previous school years. So, I think of it as much more than just the boxes that are being used (even when we do not use all of them).

Is it worth it to buy the program IF you plan on using different math, different language arts (at least for part, not all), and different science. :001_huh:

I guess I'd be using it for the history, Bible study, literature, art, and not sure what else is in there...

I'm thinking I'd still like to use it, but I just want to see what others think. And as a side note, I'm not worried about the "philosophy" behind the program, I'm not concerned whether or not we stick to CM or what not. The reason I want the program is for the incorporated Bible....

Thanks!

We use the newest program this year and last. We have always had our own math and language arts. Last year I did part of the Science, this year I am doing the Science. I think it is worth it. I bought my program piecemeal from CBD, Rainbow and HOD. You only buy what you need.

I too love the ease of the HOD curriculum. We are doing BHFHG with a different math, handwriting, and spelling - we do use the dictation as suggested in the guide. The author has pulled all the pieces together so well, it is not only a joy to teach but easy too! :)

We are doing a lapbook on bees because the kids were interested in bees (I too learned what fascinating creatures they are - wow!). Maybe we will continue to add a science lapbook based on a topic of interest - but the great thing is it is so easy to add/change/adapt the curriculum so that it works for you - not you working for it. Having your students placed accurately in the curriculum is key though - and well worth contacting the company or posting a message on their message board for help if not sure.

All the best with your decision-making process!

Yes, but I caution you to be careful. If you buy a math, LA, and science that are more time consuming then what HOD has scheduled, you may really begin to feel the load of a very heavy history schedule (especially in Preparing and up manuals).

Yup, what she said. I do use SM, but on our own schedule. We do our own spelling and I have added in a reading program that DS does in addition to the reading assigned in Beyond. Some days it is just too much and I find myself not doing the Beyond stuff because DS is worn out from doing all the 3Rs stuff. But I really like him doing the formal reading program (R&S reading) because he's actually reading for content vs just to get it done. So I don't want to toss it.

For science, I started out the year doing a science curriculum, but it just wasn't happening because we didn't have the time. So the last 2 weeks I've just tossed the extra science and am doing it as written but adding in nature study and library books on various topics that DS is interested in to round out the science more.