Menu

WWYD science for my 7th grader?

Quiver0f10

We're doing Environmental Science now for 5th grade. Looking ahead, we'll be doing Life Science in 6th, Earth Science in 7th and Physical Science in 8th and then, I guess, Biology in 9th with OM (I'm not really sure yet how it's going to work from 9th grade on for us).

If you want to stick to a time table so you don't get to biology til a certain grade or whatever, why don't you just stop with an official science curriculum til next year, and for now just let him explore science in his way with games, books, videos/shows, kid friendly experiment books, field trips, nature walks, the planetarium, or whatever it is he wants to do- just keep it informal for the rest of this year?

Are there any science topics he is especially interested in? Maybe have him do some more in-depth research into a few topics that he likes. You might consider doing a science fair type project that will allow him some real hands on in experimental procedure. If he enjoys science and hands on, you could easily stretch out physical science with more experiments, investigations and supplemental reading.

Also, I was supposed to teach using the Apologia Biology text for a co-op class that did not make. I haven't done much more than glance at the text, but it surprised me that it did not cover human body systems (or even vertebrate body systems - there is one module covering reptiles, amphibians, and mammals). If you are going to use that text for "freshman" biology, you might consider doing a "light" (non-lab) anatomy and physiology course in middle school. I have a hard time understanding a scope and sequence that waits until an senior, upper-level A&P class before ever even introducing body systems, but that's just me. You could easily combine this type of study with health if he hasn't covered much of that either. I will offer the disclaimer that I have spent some time as a freshman level public school biology and health teacher so I may be a bit biased about the importance of those subjects. :)

You might also consider letting him work through some Boy Scout merit badge booklets on science topics that interest him - he doesn't have to be a Scout to do so. The books are something like $4, you can get them from a local Scout shop or online through BSA. Mine really enjoys this, he actually gets more out of it than a regular curric half the time lol...