Menu

Grammar

Hello! I am new to this forum. I am hoping you can help me. I have a 13 year ols 7/8th grade son. Homeschooled until grade 2. We have returning to homeschooling and there is such a hole in his education. We were using Shurley Grammar previously. But now he is studying Latin, Algebra 2 and High school bilogy. I am uncertain what to use, as there's been no grammar until our return to homeschool. I am considering Winston, Analytical or returning to Shurley level 7. (as it does not go above 7) He feels the jingles are childish...but I remember how well they worked. He does most all of his work independently now. Any suggestions?

Winston is great, but it can easily be done in a semester. You could do both Winston and Adv. in 1 year. That might be a good option to bring him up to speed. There is no punctuation or writing included so you will have to supplement.

I am currently using AG with my 6th grader and I do like it quite a bit. It is not an easy program. The sentences chosen and the format raises the bar a bit. It is designed to be a 3 year program. I might make it a 2 year program by combining years 2 and 3. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

My 9th grader, who is very good with grammar, is using Highway to English Grammar by Weaver as a refresher. She is able to do an entire lesson a day (so far). I am impressed with this program. I think it presents material easier than AG. But, it uses scriptures as the sentences to diagram so the sentences are not overly easy. We parse more than we diagram, but it still works. This is a 2 year program. 1 year reviewing everything grammar and 1 year diagramming the book of Romans.

Another homeschooler I recently spoke with is using Jensen's Grammar. She said it is very complete and very easy to use.

None of these programs incorporates writing or punctuation. HTH

Writing has been a challenge for us. I think Jump In was the most successful. But, I also really like Ignite Your Writing. It has been a great resource that covers several grades. Writers Inc is popular among local home schoolers. Meaningful Composition is another program worth checking out. I really like Analytical Grammar's The Essay and The Research Paper (2 different programs). There are other programs and hopefully someone else will toss some more ideas your way......

There are several little books that only cover punctuation. Punctuation Power comes to mind. I also have The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. That might be a good resource for you. HTH

I love Shurley grammar in the younger grades. I especially like Shurley 7, mostly b/c of the editing exercises. We chant the jingles rather than sing them. Maybe that would help?

After Shurley 7, we transition to R&S 6. It's a very solid program and should fill any grammar gaps.

Lisa