Menu

WTM fashionistas...I need advice regarding jewelry with an outfit

I'm trying to get ready for my MIL's funeral and tried on my new outfit last night. I bought a gray A-line skirt that's really lovely, and it comes with two "necklaces" that start at my waist and hang down to the other side of my waist. Literally it looks like my skirt has a necklace. But then I can't figure out if I should wear a necklace, too. I can't find one that I already own that matches nicely, so I'm wearing a 15" very thin silver chain (can barely see the chain) with a butterfly pendent that my MIL bought me. It doesn't compete with the skirt bling like my other necklaces. Is this enough? (The top is a very thin sleeveless dark teal sweater, then I have a black frilly cardigan over that with black tight high heel boots...it looks great together.) BTW, I really couldn't wear bracelets with the outfit because the cardigan has really nice details at the cuffs and I'm not planning on taking it off.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Your skirt sounds very cute. I think you should keep the focus on the chains on the skirt. A necklace, even with a thin chain, might compete with the skirt. It is hard to tell without seeing it.

If you need to finish off the outfit a scarf would be cute.

Your skirt sounds very cute. I think you should keep the focus on the chains on the skirt. A necklace, even with a thin chain, might compete with the skirt. It is hard to tell without seeing it.

I agree.

I'm trying to picture your outfit; and if I'm seeing it correctly, a necklace might be too much, IMO.

Thanks to both of you ladies. My dd is wearing my black scarf that'd match, but I think a scarf may be too much...the edges of the cardigan are VERY frilly, and it'd be too many ruffles, I think. Seinfeld would be doing an episode on me! When I bought the skirt, I never thought that the skirt bling would compete with a necklace...but in a way the outfit doesn't feel complete without one!!! LOL (You guys are right, though, it's just too much...it looks like I'm wearing necklaces everywhere!!!!!)

Agree, yet I love the thought of you wearing a butterfly pendant given to you by your MIL at her funeral. It's so fitting to the occasion, KWIM? Maybe bend the fashion rules to honor your MIL? Or let your dd wear the necklace? Just seems like it should be there too.

So sorry for your loss.

astrid

Agree, yet I love the thought of you wearing a butterfly pendant given to you by your MIL at her funeral. It's so fitting to the occasion, KWIM? Maybe bend the fashion rules to honor your MIL? Or let your dd wear the necklace? Just seems like it should be there too.

So sorry for your loss.

astrid

Thanks, Astrid. :)