Menu

APUSH pointers please?

Can you give me some starters on planning an AP US History course for dd next year?

I think I'll avoid an online APUSH class and just do it ourselves.

So, I want to come up with an outline/syllabus/plan over the next few months so I can get it all put together by spring (next summer is going to be crazy busy). . .

I need to choose a text, support materials, etc. I'd love a nice syllabus to use as a starting point. Ideas, please?

We relied on google for syllabi (you can pick and choose, some are pretty good). Otherwise, my daughter mostly used an AP prep book to guide her. Some prep books are better than others. A few have really off the wall questions that are obviously never going to be on the test.

The sample questions on the AP site are good for figuring out what the test will be like.

My daughter wrote a lot of essays from all time periods and did as many multiple choice tests as she could find. (Although she gave up on a lot of the quizzes posted online by AP teachers. A lot of them were useless.) She turned it into more of a self-taught course and I stayed out of it, for the most part (except critiquing her writing). I think this worked a lot better for her than following what I told her to do.