Menu

Beautiful Feet Users....

Pam Wilhelm

Do you do all the activities in the BF Guides? Do you just use the scheduling and run the curriculum as a Read Aloud?

I doing Early american History with my kids, as well as, Science History....and all the "activities" are driving me/us nuts. They take the joy out of the readings, I think. We always have a fair amount of discussion when we read and I guess that I feel that is enough. Am I going to rot in the netherworld if we don't do this stuff exactly as presented? :tongue_smilie: I mean, I know that I'll probably rot in hell for lots of other things, but I wouldn't want to borrow trouble.

:)

So what say ye?

No, I never did all of the activities. I used BF for early american (primary) and look forward to using the other ones as my children get older....but honestly what I liked best was the lit. selections. I did have my first grader do some of the copywork, and he colored the pictures (that they had you photocopy from the books) but I skipped alot, and I skipped all of the "principle approach" work, not that I think there's anything wrong w/ the approach really, but I just felt it was way over the top of a first grader's head. :001_smile: I would have him narrate the story back to me, and if I had time I would write down his narration for his history notebook. He retained alot even though his notebook wasn't very big or elaborate. ;)

I'm doing BF Early Am. as well, and I am no where close to following the guide! It's nice to have in terms of following some sort of an order, but I also have some dvd's that the kids love to watch, as well as Drive Thru History that's a bit different. Presently, I read to them, and they like to watch a dvd or part of it. We are going to do more hands on activities soon, but for now that's all we're fitting in.