Menu

Math help, if you will...

angela&4boys

I am mostly a lurker and as of late have been searching for math related posts. I have an amost 11yo boy who is not math inclined. We are using BJUP Math 5 and he gets it done, but doesn't seem to retain it well despite our use of their Review Book.

He is proficient in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and for the most part division. However, despite instruction in fractions and decimals, he seems to forget from one day to the next what steps he needs to take to complete the problems. For example, we just finished a chapter on fractions where he had to add and subtract unlike fractions, adjusting the denominator accordingly and did quite well, but when given a test, he blanked. Could it just be a matter of more practice focusing on a particular topic? We're ready for the next chapter that focuses on geometry concepts and while the change will be refreshing for him, I feel like it's foolish to move on in some respects.

I should note that I am looking to make a decision for him in the long-term. While we have loved BJUP up to this point, I am concerned that it is not the right fit as we enter into the pre-algebra phase.

We've used Saxon before and the multitude of different problems overwhelmed him. I've read the reviews of TT and I'm gun-shy with all of the conflicting views on it, but it's still in the running. Should we consider MUS? Or is there someone else out there that is or has been in the same boat? Perhaps a hiatus from the norm is in order and we should use something like the Key-To Series?

The Hive's thoughts are immensely appreciated. :)

Take a look at something like the Key To... series. If BJU has been working up to the point, I wouldn't change just because he is stuck on fractions. Maybe he just needs that topic explained in a different way. I would try that before changing maths that have been working and getting done.

BJU has 3 more supplemental workbooks they mean for you to chose from.

Spread Your Wings--remedial

Spring Into Action--more practice on the lesson of the day, follows the same format as the student text. My teacher friend assigns this daily as homework. Sounds like what your ds needs.

Stretch Your Mind--challenging application problems

You could do Spring through the summer and make your decision this fall. He literally has been getting only half the practice he would have had if doing the BJU math in school and he probably just needs it. My personal plan is to stick with BJU through 6 and then make a decision for the algebra, which I'm thinking will be VideoText.

OhElizabeth, thank you for a fresh look at BJUP. I wasn't sure what those particular books were for. It does sound like it would be fitting for him to do Spring Into Action. Maybe we'll do that or Key to.. then check out a few things at our state convention.