Menu

Speech therapy through PS in New Jersey?

saja1029

I don't know if this applies exactly to your question because I don't know if speech therapy applies to special ed. I got this from the NJ Dept. of Ed. FAQs on homeschooling.

Special Education Services - In accordance with the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (P.L. 108-446 §612), the board of education must ensure that “all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated...” When the public school district receives a written request for special education evaluation, the district must review the request in a meeting of the child study team, the parent/guardian and the regular education teacher. This procedure applies to children who are educated at home. At the meeting, current information about the child is reviewed to determine whether an evaluation is warranted. If an evaluation is warranted, another determination will be made regarding the assessment procedures. Written notice of the determinations is given to parent/guardian. Once the assessments are completed, a meeting in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A:14-2.3(i)1 is held to determine whether the child is eligible for special education and related services.

If the child is eligible for special education and related services, the public school district must make a free, appropriate public education available only if the child enrolls in the district. If the child does not enroll in the public school district, but the district chooses to provide services, the district would develop a plan for the services to be provided.

Edited by NJKelli

Many years ago when my son was leaving public school I was told that he could receive services through the public school.

I was not happy with their speech therapists and he was in private therapy so I did not pursue it.

My son was in PS until last June. He had speech therapy from Kindergarten through 3rd grade. I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle to try and "reinstate" it with our homeschooling status (and all of the budget cuts this year...). Like you, we weren't thrilled with the results.....so I think I am going to contact my insurance and go from there.

My son was in PS until last June. He had speech therapy from Kindergarten through 3rd grade. I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle to try and "reinstate" it with our homeschooling status (and all of the budget cuts this year...). Like you, we weren't thrilled with the results.....so I think I am going to contact my insurance and go from there.

Our public schools will provide speech therapy to all cihldren - no matter where they are schooled (ps, private, homeschooled). However, in my experience, our districts are not so welcoming of the homeschooled kids and tend to make it difficult on the parents, and sometimes the child. I found a private therapy center for children and we are loving it. Yes, some there still think we need to stop homeschooling, but most don't say anything. The therapists also seem to have more general knowledge than the school therapists. I think because they have to see a wider range of kids they stay current in a wider range.

Best wishes to you!