Menu

Anyone use Chalkdust SAT Math review?

We just got in our Chalkdust SAT Math Review DVDs. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule this into our already full day.

I'm hoping my two 11th graders can get through the course before the test date. We haven't decided whether to do the May 3rd or June 7th test. If you have used this program can you post how you scheduled it.

Also, did you take the SAT practice tests after completing the DVDs or did you do them as you were going along.

Thanks in advance.

langfam

My son, 11th, used them to prepare for the PSAT last fall. He watched some each day (he did about 45 minutes and stopped when it seemed appropriate or ds lost his concentration) and took practice tests after completing the dvds. We took some time off from our normal math studies in order to do this, but you wouldn't necessarily have to. There are points in the lectures where the dc can pause the dvd and work a problem on their own using Dr. Mosely's methods and then start the dvd again and watch to see if they are correct. We didn't do any additional work outside of that as all the topics were review for ds.

My 11th grader is going through this in preparation for the SAT exam in early March. She has a full schedule with 12 hours at the community college and a couple of AP classes. We've scheduled one hour per week for this. She basically watches and pauses when she wishes to work a problem. She had done some practice tests previously but not since starting the program. (And she may not due to lack of time.)

If she needs to retake the SAT again after March, we'll schedule in more time for this program including practice test work.

Regards,

Kareni

My son, 11th, used them to prepare for the PSAT last fall. He watched some each day (he did about 45 minutes and stopped when it seemed appropriate or ds lost his concentration) and took practice tests after completing the dvds. We took some time off from our normal math studies in order to do this, but you wouldn't necessarily have to. There are points in the lectures where the dc can pause the dvd and work a problem on their own using Dr. Mosely's methods and then start the dvd again and watch to see if they are correct. We didn't do any additional work outside of that as all the topics were review for ds.

This is pretty much how my kids have used them. (Except dd was behind in math and not all the topics were review.) DD raised her math score almost 100 points after viewing these...which helped her nab a very nice scholarship to attend a private school.

• 5 months later...
Would this program be helpful to a student who is already strong in math?

It might be helpful if your student needs to work more quickly. The usual sequence goes something like this:

1. Identify a general class of problems often found on the test.

2. A brief review of the concepts and steps taught in textbooks for solving that type of problem.

3. Solving individual problems showing first the textbook method and then his suggestions for ways to solve problems quickly in test situations.

A heads-up: the dvd version I bought last January does NOT have a menu for the first few dvd's. You simply start and work through each disc. That's not really a problem if you view them on a computer, but it is a headache if you intend to use a tv/dvd player.

Does he show step-by-step solutions for each problem in the blue SAT book?

Excellent question. You might want to ask the vendor about the source for the problems which appear on the dvd's.

I haven't noticed any correlation between the CD problems and the blue book, but I think that they send the "current" SAT book so I doubt that there would be much overlap of solutions for practice tests. However, it's possible that he has chosen problems from the introductory chapters and those might not change from one book to another.

Disclaimer: My son used Princeton Review for the general math review, and we've only used the blue book we got with CD for practice tests so I'm not all that familiar with the contents of the blue book.

No he does not go through step-by-step each problem of the practice tests in the blue official guide book.

He does go through step-by-step the kinds of problems that will appear on the SAT and teaches strategies on how to solve those kinds of questions with speed. DC will then apply what they have learned on the practice tests.

I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that if you submit your answers online, there's explanation of answers. We've not done this, so I may not know what I'm talking about. I just remember something about explanations of answers online. I think it may be the online course.

We just got in our Chalkdust SAT Math Review DVDs. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule this into our already full day.

I'm hoping my two 11th graders can get through the course before the test date. We haven't decided whether to do the May 3rd or June 7th test. If you have used this program can you post how you scheduled it.

Also, did you take the SAT practice tests after completing the DVDs or did you do them as you were going along.

Thanks in advance.

langfam

We used CD from late January through May alongside our regular math curriculum, and then switched to practice tests. The total time on the discs is approximately 15 hours. One thing that we did not do was take practice tests while watching the discs. If I had it to do over we'd watch the discs and work problems for about 20-30 minutes 4x per week and do at least one practice test section on day 5.

If you view the discs on a tv/dvd it may take a few minutes to find your place from one day to the next. It's a bit easier to keep track of where you left off if the discs are viewed on computer.

Thanks, Martha. If you see the date when I posted this, it was January 2008. My kids have gone through the DVDs and taken the SAT with happy results!! It was well worth it......thanks again though.

Ha ha, I reely do need new glasses. I've got a stiff neck from doing the bifocals ain't working head bob, but have been putting off calling for an appointment.

Congratulations to your DC!