Menu

Driving myself CRAZY trying to find the "right" Geometry curriculum. Please help!

We are finishing up Jacob's Algebra this week and need to move on to Geometry with my dd. For various reasons, we are not going to use Jacob's for Geometry. I had been considering using Teaching Textbooks, but after doing LOTS of searching on the web and the boards now I'm not sure.

I've become interested in Kinetic Books and their new Geometry program. But it's not out for a few more weeks, so it's hard to get opinions on. However, most people sound positive about their Algebra.

TT sounds okay, but it's expensive and I'm not sure what I think of the samples I've seen. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.

MUS looks good to me, but I've often heard it referred to as "remedial."

I'm also considering LOF, but at this point I think my dd might like something with a video/computer component to help break up all her other book-work throughout the day.

Anyway.........my main question is this. Is Geometry somewhat DIFFERENT than other upper-level math? What I mean is, while I'm concerned about keeping Algebra "rigorous," do I need to be as worried about Geometry? Most complaints about TT (for example) seem to be about their Alg. I and Alg. II sequence being behind. Geometry (it seems) is somewhat self-contained. I also hear things like MUS's Algebra word problems aren't hard enough, but would that matter as much for Geometry?

I plan on using Lial's for Intermediate Algebra, so I'm really only concerned about using a curriculum for one year with Geometry. Thank you for your input (deep down, I think I'm wanting to hear that MUS would be "just fine" for Geometry :) ).

I've become interested in Kinetic Books and their new Geometry program. But it's not out for a few more weeks, so it's hard to get opinions on. However, most people sound positive about their Algebra.

I am looking into Geometry curric for next year and would be interested in reviewing Kinetic's program. I couldn't find a link for Kinetic Geometry when I Googled and would appreciate if you could show me where I can read about this. Thanks so much.:D

I have a degree in math, but Geometry was the only math class I hated. I am of the opinion that Geometry isn't as important as the other high school maths. If you look at post #11 in this thread, at least one high school math teacher agrees with me. We are Jacob's Geometry drop-outs. We are currently using Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press (see my signature for a link). I like it because the TM is a copy of the student book with scheduling options, answers, and homework assignments spelled out. I bought a test book and solutions manual, though I haven't needed the solutions manual much. Ds likes it because it's more hands-on. We used Patty Paper Geometry by the same author as a supplement last year.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. While I liked the elementary program, I found Algebra lacking. I wouldn't use it with any student who is going into a math, science, or engineering related field.

We also used LoF Algebra. While I think it's rigorous, it didn't fit my son's learning style and didn't provide enough practice for him. Others do very well with it. While no video component, it would provide a change of pace from other books because it is so entertaining.

From reading the boards:

Kinetic books gets positive reviews

TT gets mixed reviews, though the Geometry program seems to be better regarded

If I was going to choose a Geometry program with a video component, I'd choose Chalkdust.

My 2c, fwiw.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I have a degree in math, but Geometry was the only math class I hated. I am of the opinion that Geometry isn't as important as the other high school maths. If you look at post #11 in this thread, at least one high school math teacher agrees with me. We are Jacob's Geometry drop-outs. We are currently using Discovering Geometry by Key Curriculum Press (see my signature for a link). I like it because the TM is a copy of the student book with scheduling options, answers, and homework assignments spelled out. I bought a test book and solutions manual, though I haven't needed the solutions manual much. Ds likes it because it's more hands-on. We used Patty Paper Geometry by the same author as a supplement last year.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. While I liked the elementary program, I found Algebra lacking. I wouldn't use it with any student who is going into a math, science, or engineering related field.

We also used LoF Algebra. While I think it's rigorous, it didn't fit my son's learning style and didn't provide enough practice for him. Others do very well with it. While no video component, it would provide a change of pace from other books because it is so entertaining.

From reading the boards:

Kinetic books gets positive reviews

TT gets mixed reviews, though the Geometry program seems to be better regarded

If I was going to choose a Geometry program with a video component, I'd choose Chalkdust.

My 2c, fwiw.

How do you like Discovering geometry so far? Sorry to just jump in like this but I am in the middle of looking for a geometry curriculum as well. I don't like TT, looking at their samples more closely, it just seems out of whack! But I am deciding between MUS, DG, and Saxon. I think Discovering geometry sounds good, but what about Saxon? Or MUS? Just looking for help!

MUS looks good to me, but I've often heard it referred to as "remedial."

(deep down, I think I'm wanting to hear that MUS would be "just fine" for Geometry :) ).

I'm in the same situation as you and I am going with MUS. My daughter got a C in Geometry in public h/s her first time around; now, as a home-schooled Senior, she is doing a review of that hated subject to prepare for a retake of her SATs. I chose to go with MUS because:

1) the proof work is at the end

2) chapters are all broken down into bite-size portions

3) because each chapter is so clearly delineated in what it covers, we can selectively pick and choose those subjects that D had trouble with, and breeze through those concepts that D understands best

4) Mr. Demme is the one person that D hasn't declared "obnoxious" as a video instructor

BTW, someone answered one of my earlier posts about MUS and she said MUS worked very well for her daughter in math and her daughter sailed through Calculus and Statistics in college.

My feeling is, if Mr. Demme can simplify math so it is simple and non-threatening, then he has accomplished 50% of what is needed for my daughter. She can do the rest!

Kinetic Books hasn't yet come out with their Geometry program, but they say that it will be available in October.

http://homeschool.kineticbooks.com/geometry.php

I've been very pleased with their Algebra I and Algebra II.

I would love to use their Prealgebra with my youngest, but she refuses to go near any math program that's done on the computer. I'm still hoping that I can convince her to try it later on.

How do you like Discovering geometry so far? Sorry to just jump in like this but I am in the middle of looking for a geometry curriculum as well. I don't like TT, looking at their samples more closely, it just seems out of whack! But I am deciding between MUS, DG, and Saxon. I think Discovering geometry sounds good, but what about Saxon? Or MUS? Just looking for help!

We are just finishing up Chapter 2, but so far it gets a thumbs up from both of us.

I've never been a Saxon fan. I find it too tedious. I don't think the spiral approach works well here. After using MUS Algebra, I wouldn't continue any farther. It did not cover all the typical Algebra topics and the word problems were too simple.

I find DG creative and hands-on. There is plenty of review, which helps to solidify any shaky information for ds.

Thank you all SO much for your help! Here's where things stand now:

*TT has been ruled out--too expensive and not a good fit

*LOF has been ruled out also

*still looking at Kinetic Books. Pros: it's inexpensive, appears (from the table of contents) to be very comprehensive, has a great reputation for its other math courses, easy grading, immediate feedback. Cons: it's not out for another month, it looks like it is SO comprehensive that it would take forever to complete, the voice of the instructor is somewhat monotonous and not very engaging. I feel pretty sure my daughter would skip over the instructions and just try to get through the work on her own to make the lessons go quicker. She watched a sample lesson and worked some sample pages today. She kind of liked working on the computer, but wasn't impressed with listening to the video instructions (and frankly, my husband and I found it pretty dry too). Also, I didn't see that they included any plane geometry (we want just a little , for the ACT).

* MUS is definitely in the running. We watched a sample "high school" lesson on their website today and found him very warm, engaging and clear in his instruction. I like that she will have to write down most of her work. I have a few question though:

1. Why can't I find a Table of Contents for the Geometry course? Does anyone know where I can find one? It doesn't seem to be on their website.

2. I also can't find sample pages of the lessons or sample video lessons from the Geometry course. I would have thought they would have them on their site. Any ideas? Will they send some to me?

3. Do they still use manipulatives for Geometry?

4. Is there Algebra review in Geometry?

5. Is any Plane Geometry included?

While my dd liked the presentation of MUS, she is still apprehensive about using it. She says all her friends who are "bad" at math use it, and she thinks using it would make her feel "dumb." I told her we just need to use the course that works best for her, so we'll see what happens. Thank you all SO much for helping!!!

Kinetic Books hasn't yet come out with their Geometry program, but they say that it will be available in October.

http://homeschool.kineticbooks.com/geometry.php

I've been very pleased with their Algebra I and Algebra II.

I would love to use their Prealgebra with my youngest, but she refuses to go near any math program that's done on the computer. I'm still hoping that I can convince her to try it later on.

This looks wonderful. Thank you!

Sue,

Thank you SO much. Apparently, you have to go to the "store" section of the MUS website and act like you're ordering the Geometry curriculum in order to see samples etc. This helps so much.

One last question and then I'll leave you all alone. :tongue_smilie: Is ALL the instruction in MUS done in the videos, or do the workbooks contain explanation/examples of new concepts as well? I was just wondering if my daughter watched the videos, but forgot something that was taught, would she have to watch the video all over again to get the explanation.

Thanks in advance!!!

Is ALL the instruction in MUS done in the videos, or do the workbooks contain explanation/examples of new concepts as well?

We used MUS from K through Algebra. For the first few years, I watched the videos religiously. After that, I just read the lesson in the TM. It has the same information. I imagine Geometry would be the same. So, if she missed something in the video, she could re-watch or read the TM. The student book has only the exercises.

*TT has been ruled out--too expensive and not a good fit
I realize TT is not a good fit, which is a great reason to rule it out!

Just wanted to say, FYI, that TT re-sells very well right here on the For Sale Board, which makes it one of the less expensive choices, really. If you bought it new, and it was gently used, you could get $135-$140 back (some try to sell it for more, but I don't think it's worth it for any more than the prices I mentioned), which makes the price much more affordable! :D

We happened to be covering geometry the same spring/summer, we constructed a set of stairs off our deck. We also have used lots of geometry in landscaping projects. So I think it is just as important as other higher maths. I also consider geometry proofs and other geometry concepts kind of "logic" coursework. So I would put it right up there with Alg. 1 & 2.

Btw, we used BJU Geometry with DVDS and it is our favorite BJU curriculum/DVDs so far. It was by far the math curriculum where I have had to assist the least so far. (We also did VT (which I *do* love) Alg. 1 & 2 on DVDs too, but I had to assist my two daughter more than we Geometry.)

Lisaj, who hated it in high school; liked it (almost loved it) while homeschooling high school