Menu

How to handle my Ker in math!?

amyrjoy

I am having him work through an Abeka K math book. It is all so easy for him. I have printed out a few addition worksheets and he does those perfectly, facts up to 10 and some past that.

He's a smart one, and is very engineer minded.

I keep thinking I should challenge him more. Maybe get Saxon 1? I have dd7 in 2 nd who is doing abeka 2 with Saxon 2 because she needs that extra positive reinforcement.

Any thoughts!? Should I just do what I am doing or really go to a different level altogether for him?

Guest janainaz

Saxon 1 is really easy too. I'm using it with my Ker, but I also print out worksheets from the computer and work on time, money, patterns, counting by 2's, 5's, 10's, 20's, etc. - I do whatever I feel he's ready for - without pushing him too much. It kind of all ties in. We play card games and dice games and still follow the curriculum (that is a bit slow for him, but I still want to cover it thoroughly). Just supplement to keep him interested.

Miquon-Singapore-MEP is an awesome combo. Throw in some Right Start games, and incorporate RS ideas for teaching place-value early and you are gold.

Read Liping Ma's book.

It is important to teach mathematical reasoning from the beginning.

Miquon and the Miquon teachers materials are outstanding resources for parents who want their children to learn the axioms of mathematics through playful and age-appropriate means. The Cuisenaire Rods used in Miquon make whole-parts math "concrete" for young minds.

Primary Mathematics (Singapore Math) excels in building a model and method for looking at numbers as wholes-and-parts that makes mental math and complex words problems things a child can master.

MEP offers intriguing puzzle-like problems that challenge critical thinking skills.

And RS is tops for teaching place-value as a beginning level skill, in addition to the re-grouping around 5s strategy.

Math programs that simply teach children to memorize "math facts" are inadequate for life in the 21st Century's global economy.

Bill