Menu

Algebra 1 and Apologia Chem (or other Chem???)

Really in a quandry!

DD-10th grade is 1/3 way through module B of videotext Alg. (Double concussions put us way behind last year!)

Is that enough ALgebra to be thru to start Apologia Chem? she finished Bio and is on a standard college-prep path, so I don't know where to go to next w/ science if she can't do chem!!

or should I use another chem program...really don't know what to do!!

any help greatly appreciated

He is close to halfway through the Algebra. He hasn't struggled, just got behind in math while I was working. I didn't want to slow him in his other subjects so I thought we would give it a go. So far he is doing fine. We are using the Virtual Homeschool lessons and it has been a big help.

If she'd rather wait till she finishes Algebra I, she could do the advanced biology course with Apologia - Anatomy. If she did well with biology and does well with that as well, she could take the SAT II and/or the AP biology test at the end of the year. Then she'll be done with Algebra I before she begins chemistry next year.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
If she'd rather wait till she finishes Algebra I' date=' she could do the advanced biology course with Apologia - Anatomy. If she did well with biology and does well with that as well, she could take the SAT II and/or the AP biology test at the end of the year. Then she'll be done with Algebra I before she begins chemistry next year.[/quote']

She actually wanted to do the Advanced Bio, but it lists Chem as a prereq so I didn't think it was an option.

Chemistry is required for Advanced Biology. The alternative I had on the back burner in case one of my children was ready for Chemistry before they finished was Marine Biology because the only prerequisite it has is Biology.

To the OP. Have you called or emailed Apologia to see what they say? They have always been incredibly helpful for me and should be able to tell you when the algebra gets more difficult, and whether they think your dd will be prepared for it if she hasn't finished Algebra 1. I would probably not try it unless I was sure it would work or had a plan for if we got to a point that we had to stop Chemistry and wait for math to catch up.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I actually discussed this with Jay Wile at a convention because my oldest dd wanted to take the Advanced Bio before Chemistry. He said it would be fine. There is really nothing in the advanced bio that requires chem knowledge.

That's strange. I wonder why they would say it's a prerequisite if it really isn't:confused: I'll bet there are many that would like to take both Biology and Advanced Biology together (Biology in the 1st semester and Advanced Biology in the 2nd) as an honors or AP course but haven't because Apologia says that you need Chemistry before Advanced Biology.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
if a child was really motivated to do the Adv Bio instead. I sort of wonder if it isn't more of a maturity thing...

Either way, dd did great with it, took her CLEP and got her credits.

Perhaps he feels that if a child is that motivate they can work through any difficulties that might come up. I think they should expand the prerequisite explanation on the website to reflect that. Regardless, I'm glad your dd was successful in both completing them and passing her CLEP test!!!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
and there was nothing that came up in the adv bio that she couldn't handle.

I'm only reiterating that because the math/chem prereq issue just doesn't make sense to me at all, and I hope to ease the minds of those who'd like to consider this route.

I don't think not having Algebra completed prior to Advanced Biology would be as much of an issue (I think it's only a prerequisite because it's necessary for Chemistry) but I can see where having not have Chemistry could be depending on how deep Advanced Biology goes (the deeper you go the more Chemistry you need to know). I have completed college A&P but not Apologia's Advanced Biology so I can't say anything specific in regards to it.