Menu

Classics for 4th grader?

LuckyDuck103

I'd like to take advantage of this http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ Labour Day sale. Any ideas for a 4th grader advanced reader? She just finished My Side of the Mountain & really enjoyed it. She has eclectic taste but seems to enjoy humor & social issues more. She's still raving about Word Eater 2 years later as well as Jacob Two-two. I really like to revamp her bedroom bookshelf and replace Beverley Cleary et al with other interesting books. She can always pick up fluff from the library.

Any ideas?:confused:

TIA

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Last year (4th grade) my son read Swiss Family Robinson, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Sherlock Holmes, Christmas Carol, Heidi, and 3 Musketeers.

I have to say that both of my boys enjoyed Heidi so much. We got the 1993 version and they watched it many times.

Has she read the Frances Hodgson Burnett books? (A Little Princess and Secret Garden are my favs, and both have great movies available--The Wonderworks versions are terrific--don't do Shirley Temple's ALP as the story is totally changed)

How about Caddie Woodlawn?

The Sid Fleishman books are great, and very funny--our favs were Chauncey and the Grand Rascal, and By The Great Horn Spoon.

Cornelia Funke has some fantasy books that are well-written, dense, highly interesting. Try the Inkheart series, or Dragonrider, or even Igraine the Brave (much lighter).

• 2 weeks later...
Has she read the Frances Hodgson Burnett books? (A Little Princess and Secret Garden are my favs, and both have great movies available--The Wonderworks versions are terrific--don't do Shirley Temple's ALP as the story is totally changed)

How about Caddie Woodlawn?

The Sid Fleishman books are great, and very funny--our favs were Chauncey and the Grand Rascal, and By The Great Horn Spoon.

Cornelia Funke has some fantasy books that are well-written, dense, highly interesting. Try the Inkheart series, or Dragonrider, or even Igraine the Brave (much lighter).

Other than Secret Garden, all these are new to me. I'm off to check them out. Thanks!