Menu

Guest conmalcam

Guest conmalcam

I am new to all of this. I am planning on starting homeschooling next school year (2011-12). My children are older, 9 & 10. My youngest is going to be 2. My older 2 will be 5th and 6th grade when I start. I am really interested in knowing if any families use the Abeka full curriculum, using the videos and books together. I know alot of families use part of this one, but I would like to use it as a whole. Another one I am interested in is My Father's World, as a whole. Please give any feedback that is helpful, neg. or pos., so I can weigh my options. Thanks so much in advance :001_smile: God Bless

Edited by conmalcam

Well I don't know your reasoning and what all is going on, but I have to tell you that homeschooling with a newly *1* year old is WAY more easy than homeschooling with a *2* year old. I'd pull them out now and get started. You're going to have a learning curve, so you might as well jump in. :)

Next, every single curriculum out there has adherents and people it fits. Nobody can say whether it will fit your situation or not. I will say though that things have changed a LOT from the days when your only options, for a mom needing help, were Abeka video school. I mean of ALL the options I can think out there, that would be the lowest, the least exciting on the list. Not that you can't use it here or there, but just realize you have a LOT of affordable, really good options now.

If you want fully planned out but easy to implement, have you looked at the Veritas Press Scholars program? They have online courses (self-paced) for their history that are FABULOUS, just fabulous. Anything they sell pretty much is terrific.

Now with those ages, if you want to do Abeka, personally I would use the Abeka 4 history text (unless they're already doing it in school), and do both of them together. Take the year, read a bit, do projects, do fieldtrips, read great books. Just enjoy it! You don't need those videos at all for that, and in fact they'd ruin it. (It's so much more fun to read it with mom and do projects than to watch some teacher teach a class on tv, kwim?) Go ahead and do the Abeka english if you want. Unless they've already been doing abeka math, I'd do something else. What math have they been doing? Is it working? Then for science do something fun like the Apologia elementary.

You can take what makes you comfortable for the main things (english, math), and mix it with a few things that are fun and selected by you. That way you don't get in a rutt of doing things all one way. That's what will burn you out and weary you. Mix it up a bit, stuff to give you structure and stuff you pick yourself.

Alternately, Sonlight core 3 would be a TERRIFIC place to start with them, just terrific. Or if they've never done world history and have done tons of american you could start with Mystery of History. Or start the VP history, combining OTAE and NTGR into one year (very doable with those ages. You could combine the history like that and use their Scholars lessons for language arts so you feel more confident about what you need to do.

You'll get there. Visit people to see how materials implement. Think about what YOUR kids need with structure, personal tutoring (vs. learning from a book), etc. to be successful. Think about whether you have an learning disabilities, struggles, or remedial subjects to tackle. Then try to think of what things you'll do that are fun. Not everything will be fun, but that doesn't mean it has to be all boring either. :)

We've been using My Father's World for several years now, and I know there are other MFW users around here, too. It would be very easy to combine your 9 & 10 yo's in one MFW program. You might go over to their boards and post about your situation. I think they'd likely recommend you begin with ECC (Exploring Countries & Cultures), but I would also want to know how your 9 & 10yo's are doing academically, what they've studied thus far, and things like that.

If you go to the main index page of their forums and click on "General-Main Board", that's the place to post questions. But if you scroll down on that main index, you'll see lots of Ideas forums, as well as the Archives, and get great insights just by reading through those at your leisure. Here's a link to that main index: http://board.mfwbooks.com/

Abeka and MFW are very different, by the way. Apples & oranges. ;) Both are very good, just different. Do you want a traditional textbook style of learning? Or do you want literature-based with notebooking, hands-on activities to pick and choose from, research projects, and a strong biblical, missions focus?

Another option is to use Abeka for the 3 R's and then use MFW for everything else. We've used some Abeka around here, and it is a very strong curriculum... especially in the 3 R's.

I was going to say, too, that if you're interested in maybe using MFW "as a whole" including the 3 R's, you might want to read up on Charlotte Mason methods, of which they use a good bit. MFW is a blend of techniques, using some elements of classical, Charlotte Mason, and unit study with a strong biblical focus. Not knowing if or how much you've read about Charlotte Mason, so I'll just give you some links to follow up on.

First, go down that main index link I gave you before... you'll find topic threads on language arts, math, Book Basket, and so on. Within those, you'll find discussion of how to implement CM methods in MFW. Also, while there have been many books written about CM, some of them make her out to be much more relaxed than she actually was. The best resource is her own writings which you can read online here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html

I also recommend the books A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. These are great little books to have for a practical how-to resource, and if you choose MFW for your curriculum, you'll see a lot of what Levison says played out (in a practical sense) in the MFW curriculum. Your library might have these books, but if not, you can find them easily at Amazon and other book sellers.

I also recommend For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley. She summarizes the CM method with a Christian emphasis. MFW sells this book, but again, your library might have it.

At least you have a little time to read up on these things and get yourself well-prepared! And welcome to homeschooling. :001_smile:

One more suggestion, sorry. :tongue_smilie: I don't know if you can change the subject line of your post, but if so, then you might want to change the wording to be more specific. It'll be more likely to catch people's attention that way, especially to call the Abeka and MFW users out of the woodwork.

Guest conmalcam

Thank you Donna A. for your advice. My children are at the top of their class academically. My son was on the high honor roll all 4 quarters last year and my daughter all staight A's. This year they have just started into their 3rd week and are doing fine.

I realize the Abeka and MFW curriculum's are different. I am really new to all of this and am looking for what will give them the best education and allow them to continue being challenged. My husband wants to make sure that whatever we choose it will be fully accredited and allow them to receive a diploma so they will be able to have the ability to go to college without question as to their previous education. I'm not sure in that area which curriculum would be best. That is one reason why I would choose Abeka. I'm not opposed to teaching them myself, just wanting to make sure they get the best teaching possible, but in a christian format as well.

If you haven't yet read The Well Trained Mind book, I'd recommend you start there. It gives you a starting point and a great overview of a lot of the possibilities. It also addresses some of the concerns about applying to college from homeschool.

In my journey towards homeschooling, that was the book that really changed my life.

Hope that helps

Just a side note- I would be careful with material covered. When I pulled my dd out of public school she had completed 4th grade in PS. We started homeschooling her 5th grade year. She also was on the honor roll every marking period since 2nd grade (they did not have honor roll for 1st graders) She was also brining home all 90% and higher.

We also started with all Abeka (for our family, the worst option for curriculum... but maybe it will work for yours) I ended up switching most that year. My dd was at a 3rd grade math level even though she had been on the honor roll all the way through. I talked to the school about it (even though they were no longer going) because I was mad. Mad that my dd who was getting all A's all the way through 4th grade was barely at the beginning of a 3rd grade math level upon entering 5th grade. They told me that part of the No Child Left Behind that they were not allowed to move ahead until EVERYBODY was ready. That meant that my dd was getting all A's because they were not allowed to move forward until everybody was ready.... instead of getting the 2 or 3 that needed extra help the help they needed, her school chose to hold the whole class back. Your dc school may be different, but I just wanted to through our experience out there for you-- just in case!

Now, this is for OUR family- I just wanted to let you know that when we did all Abeka I would have tears with just about every subject we would have tears and fighting. It was pure drudgery to get them to do the work. I do know a family that does all abeka here locally and it works for them. So all I am saying is make sure you leave wiggle room if it does not work well for you. :001_smile:

Guest conmalcam

Diviya- I def. do plan on getting the Well Trained Mind book, for sure :)

wy kd wrangler04- One of my huge concerns is the fact that I have seen the math curriculum for some of these and am shocked at how far ahead they are. I thought that my son was ahead last year doing algebra already in 4th grade, but I guess not. Ugh...this is all so stressful!!! I really am trying to weigh all options and hope to have my answers by the end of this school year. I'm really excited, but yet so unsure of which way to go. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it :)

Diviya- I def. do plan on getting the Well Trained Mind book, for sure :)

wy kd wrangler04- One of my huge concerns is the fact that I have seen the math curriculum for some of these and am shocked at how far ahead they are. I thought that my son was ahead last year doing algebra already in 4th grade, but I guess not. Ugh...this is all so stressful!!! I really am trying to weigh all options and hope to have my answers by the end of this school year. I'm really excited, but yet so unsure of which way to go. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it :)

Just for kicks, why not give him the placement tests for a couple of different math curriculums? If you go to this page and scroll down to about the middle of the page, you'll find a link for placement tests for Singapore: http://www.mfwbooks.com/mathsingapore.html

And here's one for Saxon: http://www.mfwbooks.com/math712.htm

You might take this year to try to connect with other homeschoolers in your area, see if there are support groups, let your dh talk with people, etc. Basically you're not going to have an issue with accredidation or curriculum. Your test scores, your RESULTS are your validation. Homeschoolers have no problem getting into colleges, universities, etc.

Ditto on the advice to go ahead and do some placement tests. They might not be covering as much as you think. Some of the new standards have them covering early algebra skills early, without necessarily making sure they get solid on the basics. Some schools allow calculator use. The real test is to give them a placement test for Horizons or Saxon (which runs a year behind) or Singapore and see what happens.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Basically you're not going to have an issue with accredidation or curriculum. Your test scores, your RESULTS are your validation. Homeschoolers have no problem getting into colleges, universities, etc.
:iagree: That's rarely a problem any more. In fact, some colleges actively search out homeschoolers because they often have a much better study ethic and do better in school---which is good for the college/university!

Guest conmalcam

Ladies, you all are so encouraging and I can't wait to tell my husband how great I feel after "chatting" with you all today. I will def. take the advice in testing them both to see where they'd be at in math. I am really excited to discover in this next year what God has for my family in this journey of homeschooling!! I will most likely be continuing with asking questions as I go. Hope you all don't mind me checking in from time to time :) Thanks a bunch!! God Bless ;)

Ladies, you all are so encouraging and I can't wait to tell my husband how great I feel after "chatting" with you all today. I will def. take the advice in testing them both to see where they'd be at in math. I am really excited to discover in this next year what God has for my family in this journey of homeschooling!! I will most likely be continuing with asking questions as I go. Hope you all don't mind me checking in from time to time :) Thanks a bunch!! God Bless ;)
I hope you do! That's why this place is so great! The variety of people giving a variety of advice to a variety of questions! :001_smile: It's a great place to get good answers! Best wishes and God bless you too! Edited by Brindee