Menu

People to People Student Ambassador Program

Ds got a letter in the mail the other day inviting him to an information meeting "in early October". Although it looks official (ds isn't interested anyway), I wonder how they got ds's name/address and why they don't specify a date for the meeting.

It looks like a summer travel program. Has anybody heard of this or participated in it?

"Celebrating Five Decades of International Exchange"

"an educational exploration program founded by President Dwight D Eisenhower"

"one-time-only opportunity to travel on a 2011 program"

TIA!

There are threads on this annually.

If you google them, you get several stories and reviews that imply they got the names off of birth registrations (public records) and have even sent invitations to the deceased, all the while implying that it was an honor based on your outstanding accomplishments.

There are lots of reviews from people who did go and had a great time, as well as people who went and were not happy. It's not an exchange program of any sort - no one comes here. I finally decided it was just a unique marketing scheme for an expensive travel program.

I've always wondered if in Florida the counties sell/give away their homeschooling lists. My girls have been invited several times (always only one or the other - never both) and we've lived in three different counties. I am certain there is no actual person offering up our name each time. We received one last week for a summer trip to Ireland.

They also get names from previous P to P participants and from teachers, coaches, etc. if your dc participate in any of those activities. P to P has been around for a very long time. I wanted to do it back in 1980 but the trip was to USSR and my parents wouldn't allow it. Oldest ds decided against the trip which was for Australia the year he was invited. We have had a number of friends who's dc have attended and they felt it was very worthwhile.