Menu

Who is using Queen's A Living History of Our World?

momof3treasures

We are using it for our 6yo. Our 3yo sits in and listens. I think it's fairly right on, with regards to the age-range that it recommends. Although, if you were using it for a child 8 or older, supplemental books COULD be used, but really, this is quite good. You can read sample pages on the author's website.

The student journal is fun too. I need something like that to teach since I can't come up with things like that on my own. It really does help our DD with her learning. We spend about 15-20 minutes reading out of the book, 3 days per week. The other 2 days, we work on journaling and mapwork.

The way the book is written is good. I cannot say, "outstanding", since I don't really know what to compare it to. We are supplementing D'Aulaire books when applicable. I am also supplementing other books recommended by Kathy Keller or Beautiful Feet.

The illustrations are very sweet and IMO, beautiful. I believe that it really helps the child appreciate drawings and could encourage a non-drawer, to try their hand at it (like my daughter).

I am VERY pleased with the book and how it is laid out. I will definitely be using it again for the other kids!

I would definitely check out the samples on the author's website found here:

http://angela-odellfamily.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20samples

(vol.2 is in there as well)

I'm on week 5 and using it with a 2nd grade girl who LOVES it.....the student journal has really "inspired" her. We have added some books here and there when she is interested. She has never really gotten into history this way before....this is PERFECT for her. There have been some "research" type activities that were really fun in the student journal...love the variety and the fact that it is so open for her to pull what she felt was important.

We are using it for first grade (and my 4 yr old tags along). We are LOVING it... only on the second week thought. Just the perfect fit for what we were wanting. One of my favorite things is that she has underlined all the geography terms throughout the chapters so after we finish a section we go look up the places on label them on our own map, then do narration into our history journal. Oh I also LOVE how each chapter is broken up into 2 sections w/ narration prompt suggestion.

The book list in the back... hmmmm I was not at all impressed with, it's pretty much the D'Aulaire books and the Queens books. I am using the booklet "Turning Back the Pages of Time" by Kathy Keller for our book basket.

The book list in the back... hmmmm I was not at all impressed with, it's pretty much the D'Aulaire books and the Queens books. I am using the booklet "Turning Back the Pages of Time" by Kathy Keller for our book basket.

:iagree: The book list is not impressive at all. I was hoping for a longer list.

We have only completed the first lesson. I like it so far. This is the main history program for my 2nd grader and a supplement for my 5th grader. This wouldn't be enough for my 5th grader by itself. I like the easy of use of the journal pages which is the main reason I bought this for my 5th grader. She is a strong reader, but is behind in writing so I wanted her to have more writing this year. The journal pages make it easy for me. It may not be quite on level, but it is more writing than she has done in the past and it is more likely to get done. She is also reading most of the Sonlight core 3 books.

Jan