Menu

Good article on recruiting at colleges

danielle

That was a nice article - thanks for sharing. And yes, as an Alumni, I'm proud to see VT's engineering rank right up there (though hubby was the Engineer... I was Physics).

I wish they would do a similar article on getting accepted into Med school or graduate level science research considering that might be middle son's plan and is my current focus of research.

I just saw this on another list. However, I think it is beneficial to see who sends "recruiters" and what kind of jobs they are recruiting for. Would these companies that send recruiters be good fits for all students? Many top schools not listed have a large percentage of students go on to grad schools. Also, since the smaller schools have smaller graduating pools, many companies do not send recruiters to these schools due to the cost. This does not mean that they don't get jobs, but they get them through other means besides the "cattle call" of huge on-campus recruiting. So, I take these kinds of lists with a grain of salt.

I just saw this on another list. However, I think it is beneficial to see who sends "recruiters" and what kind of jobs they are recruiting for. Would these companies that send recruiters be good fits for all students? Many top schools not listed have a large percentage of students go on to grad schools. Also, since the smaller schools have smaller graduating pools, many companies do not send recruiters to these schools due to the cost. This does not mean that they don't get jobs, but they get them through other means besides the "cattle call" of huge on-campus recruiting. So, I take these kinds of lists with a grain of salt.

I take all lists with a grain of salt since they are all biased in some form or another. Still, it's always nice to see ones Alma mater listed on some of them. Besides, hubby has often said his engineering education at VT was far better than that of other schools he has seen, so he has no regrets. After seeing some fellow engineers in real life he has a couple of schools he doesn't recommend any longer (and none were on the list).

While lists like this aren't the be all, end all, it's simply a fallacy to think that a degree from school A is equal to a degree from school B simply because they have the same title on the degree. IMO one has to do their research to locate good [affordable] schools in a student's planned major. (And there are good schools not on that list!)