Menu

Ridiculously excited

We have been raising a couple of tadpoles and have had a blast watching them change over just a few days. Today, the one who was apparently the oldest climbed up the wall of the aquarium they were kept in and escaped. He still had a tail!

We found him on the kitchen floor before he became a cat snack and released him safely. I've never seen or held such a tinly little froglet. I think he was a grey tree frog, hence the ability to climb the glass wall of the aquarium. So much fun...

We have been raising a couple of tadpoles and have had a blast watching them change over just a few days. Today, the one who was apparently the oldest climbed up the wall of the aquarium they were kept in and escaped. He still had a tail!

We found him on the kitchen floor before he became a cat snack and released him safely. I've never seen or held such a tinly little froglet. I think he was a grey tree frog, hence the ability to climb the glass wall of the aquarium. So much fun...

Us too! Well, ours didn't escape, but I couldn't believe how cool it was to wake up one morning and find a frog instead of a tadpole. I mean, it literally happened overnight!

Nice! We have tadpoles, too, but they are taking FOREVER to change. We've had them over a month and I still can't see any legs at all. They were collected for us from a local pond by a family friend and we have no idea what kind they are.

But if the change can happen virtually overnight... I guess I better put a cover over the top so I won't have any escapees. We've been leaving it off in order to see the tadpoles better.

I wouldn't worry if you haven't seen any legs yet. The back legs were slow to grow, but the quickest change on ours seemed to happen after it got it's front legs! Now the second and final one has his front legs, so we'll see if it's the same species. :-)

You know, I read that bullfrog tadpoles can take as long as one or even two years before they complete their changes! Maybe you have bullfrogs, or just a slower-growing species... http://www.bullfrogs.com/Bullfrog-Tadpoles.html