Menu

Any suggestions to help 8th grader with note taking?

Jeana

I don't remember being taught *how* to take notes in school. I think it was a skill we acquired over time, as far as I can remember.

Something that wouldn't be an extra expense would be good, right? What about taping (provided you have a VCR or DVD) a history program or Modern Marvels or How It's Made, etc. First let your son watch the program, helping him at first to jot down a few things that sound important or interesting for later. The next day, or whenever you like, play the taped program back and let him see if what he wrote down is correct, and if he still thinks it was as important as he first thought.

He could begin to do this for any history or science program on tv, until he feels comfortable with his notes. You can take notes along side him, and you can both compare to see what you felt worthy of writing. Free, and non-stress inducing.

Check this site out. It might be helpful. I might do this also. Other wise, just explain to him the idea of notes is to caputre the main ideas and important info and have him do it with educational movies and such. I think the key to note taking is practice! Then ask questions after and tell him to answer them from his notes (because he was supposed to write down the important details ;)) I am doing this with my 7th grader dd

There are many different ways to take notes ;i.e. mind mapping, outlining, and bullets. Some students try to write everything. We use Cornell style in our home. It's flexible and organized. Just type in Cornell notetaking. I found one website that compared different styles.

Bonita

How To Become A SuperStar Student by Tim McGee is an excellent lecture series that deals not only with note taking but with ideas on how to learn and be a better student. It is directed toward highschool ps students and beginning college students but I had my 7th watch it with me and she is implementing many of the ideas in it with great success.

It is pricey on the main website but I believe you can get it on Amazon for about $25-$30. I am making it mandatory watching for my dc upon entering 7th grade.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=140

I showed dd the Cornell Method, but it seems clunky to me and takes a whole lot of paper. I just don't like it. Nothing wrong with it, just not my style.

Have your dc been doing the outlining (WTM style)? It seems to me that it would evolve into pretty good note-taking skills. Sadly, we were never very dedicated to outlining and are now trying to teach note-taking also. I was wondering if the outlining to note-taking progression really worked or not. Would backing up to more serious outlining help it along?