Menu

Starting with Lively Latin and TOG in fall, Yr 1 seems like the best fit, but.....

home4school

I want to start LL and TOG in the fall. I'm just not sure where in TOG to start! My 2 ds will be 5th and 7th. We have done a terrible job at covering history! We have just studied, hit and miss, here and there. We made it thru about 1/2 of SOTW 1 and this year we jumped to Vikings and have only made it to Jamestown.

Being boys, they seem more interested in the wars and such that we could cover if we jump in TOG where we are timewise. They really didn't care much for Ancients, but I did a lousy job of planning.

But, I think it would be better on one hand to go back and start at the beginning, so things will flow better. And it seems LL would complement the Anciencts nicely.

Also, with my older, I need a long range plan to cover the cycles and periods thru high school. I don't want to get to hs and think I should have timed it differently for credits and such.

Any opinions on where to start and what plan to follow thru hs?:confused1:

Thanks for your help!

KIm

Thanks for the reply, Jessica. I just can't decide if it would be better to go back again and start at the beginning, just continue on from where we are, or if it even matters!

It just kind of seemed like LL would be a nice complement to TOG 1, since it includes history and such. But, I guess that really doesn't matter either!

Decisions, decisions! :confused:

Thanks again!

Kim

I agree with Jessica, year 3 would be a good place for you. You wouldn't have to feel like you are repeating what you've already done, and your oldest would still get all four years in high school. Btw, I think it could be very interesting to do the 1800's and Roman history (with LL) at the same time, it would enable you to see parallels you might miss if you weren't studying them simultaneously!

Just a side note, going from Jamestown to the 1800's is a jump. Perhaps you could have your boys do some summer reading - a history text or historical fiction to cover the colonial, Rev. war, beg. govt. stages of US history. I think that would be very helpful to set the stage for the American history part of year 3.

We are making the switch to TOG next year, too. Happy planning!

Hth,

Years 3 & 4 are the most important at the high school level IMHO. Lots of philosophy; lots of important events; lots of great, great literature at the R level.

I would recommend that you start there with the D level with your oldest BUT with the R level for you. :001_smile: Really! There is SO much material there that will make you an AMAZING teacher when you launch back into the ancients when your oldest hits 9th grade. You'll be able to SEE so much more in your study of the ancients. Connections. Connections. Connections. You have two years to slowly but steadily educate yourself. All you have to do is attempt the R level books (I would REALLY focus on the teacher's notes and then TRY to read the literature yourself. Armed with the program this will be easier than you think. AND all of the knowledge that you gain from reading the R level history/philosophy/etc will empower you to lead great discussions with your D & UG students.) The great thing about a TOG education for the momma is that all of the planning is done. All you have to do is work the R plan in order to self-educate.

And the great thing about TOG is that IF you get behind, you just jump to where you are in your own self-education. No guilt because you're not earning credits!!!!! :D

And that can be REALLY, REALLY good!

Have fun!

Peace,

Janice in NJ

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Your responses have given me a lot to think about. Something else I happened to think of is that I was also planning to start with WT or CW, thinking these would complement TOG 1 nicely. Would it be better to use something with TOG 3 such as IEWs themed bases program? Any other program that would be a good fit? I know TOG has the WAid, but would it be enough?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions!

Kim

Dana from TOG assured me that WA was the ONLY writing program any would NEED for K-12. I think the problem lies more in if you'd use it or if you need more hand-holding past: read this and teach it to your student, have your student read this and put it into their Grammar & Composition folder, do this assignment and evaluate their work.

Within each week's plans there are assignments for each level of WA and tons of helps but you still have to learn it and teach it yourself. I know that isn't attractive to some.

Your responses have given me a lot to think about. Something else I happened to think of is that I was also planning to start with WT or CW, thinking these would complement TOG 1 nicely. Would it be better to use something with TOG 3 such as IEWs themed bases program? Any other program that would be a good fit? I know TOG has the WAid, but would it be enough?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for all the questions!

Kim

Kim,

What are your goals? I am using CW and TOG. CW was first and I am not willing to give it up, even through WA with the TOG topics are great! Given you don't have the previous attachment the easiest answer is to use TOG writing.

Blessings,

Heather