Menu

Mixed feelings about taking ds out right now Ohio folks help?

Okay, so I've been dancing around this decision for months. Now, the answer seems clear, I am dragging my heels into the ground trying to stick it out til the end of the year.

DS is having behavior issues about school since he knows he's going to be HS'd. He no longer wants to go to school & is very vocal about it. Mt issue is I'm afraid if I pull him right now that I'll have testing to do & have to teach all of first grade to him in a few weeks. I do realize how silly I sound but I,m nervous about any controversy I'm going to face.

What issues would I face if I just took him out now? HELP! Please!

My post didn't really make sense did it? I'm so nervous about taking him out now, it seems silly with just a few weeks to go to just have him finish the grade out. Here are my questions. How do I take him out?

We live in Ohio, do we have to do any extra testing if he is removed from school before completion of a grade?

I just don't know how to go about it? Should I have him finish the year? What would you do? I mean he's not being a horrible kid but he's rushing through his work & bothering the other kids who aren't done. And he doesn't sound like he's being respectful of his teacher.

I hope I am more clear now. Lol.

You would have to notify for him as a homeschooler, and you would have to provide an end-of-the-year assessment. It can either be testing or an assessment by a certified Ohio teacher (your local homeshcool support group will have a list of homeschool-friendly assessors.) You would not ahve to teach him all of 1st grade.

Personally, I would have him finish the year. But I don't let my dc's ill behavior make my choices for me. ;) That just seems to encourage more of it in the future. I think you should see an improvement if he knows there is no way he is getting out of it. They can smell indecision, LOL. :001_smile: If not, I think pull him out is not the answer to this behavior issue. I would deal with it now right where he is.

Ahh now see I didn't think about it that way at all! :). This morning he pulled a paper out that said at the top that the entire class was having trouble listening & keeping their hands to themselves & being respectful. So, this ds being my oldest & only one old enough for school I immediately wanted to pull him out before anymore corruption occurred.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Take a couple of deep breaths...it'll be ok. I, too, would probably finish out the year, but I can understand your (and his) anxiousness to get ps behind you :)

You can google CHEO of Ohio. I think it stands for Christian Home Educators. They have links with all the pertinent legal mumbo jumbo you'll need. If I remember correctly, the first year we homeschooled in Ohio, we only had to report that we were homeschooling (there is a form you can print out at CHEO). The NEXT year we were required to report AND send an assessment. This sticks out so vividly because I didn't know anyone here and I was trying to figure out who could assess my child before filling out the paperwork to send to the school district (I was getting a bit frantic). I emailed either CHEO or a local homeschool group (can't remember) and found out that the assessment was not required until the next year.

Good luck!

Thank you! We are aware of our CHEO thank you for telling me though! At this point I just feel torn about it because there are just a few weeks left. I could really go either way ya know? With just a few weeks left he wouldn't be missing all that much. But also a few more weeks won't kill him either lol. Ugh. I wish we'd just taken him out at Christmas time like my gut told me to, but it's too late for that now, so no use fussing about it now