Menu

Does anyone use All About Spelling?

Sarah CB

I've been trying to use SWR for a couple of years now. I'm not sure what's wrong with me - I have no problem using TOG and CW but for some reason I've never been able to wrap my head around how to practically implement SWR.

I have boys in grades K and 2. AAS looks much easier to implement than SWR. I'm not sure why, but it does. I like the fact that it teaches phonograms and spelling rules as well. I plan on starting it in about a week with my boys. Does anyone have any pointers? Is there anything you wish you knew before you started? And how is it working for you? Are your kids retaining? Is it fairly straightforward to implement?

Thanks,

Sarah

Does anyone have any pointers? Is there anything you wish you knew before you started? And how is it working for you? Are your kids retaining? Is it fairly straightforward to implement?

Thanks,

Sarah

My son likes AAS (I think he's a natural speller, though), we used SWO and was starting "C" when I found out about AAS. It is working for us. He is on AAS3 now and I am amazed at how much of the rules he remembers.

I like the new AAS with magnets. Make sure to buy a white board (w/magnet), it's so much easier to keep the tiles in order.

Yes, it is fairly straightforward to implement.

HTH

We are almost finished with Level 1 and will be starting 2 soon.

We switched from SWO and I am glad we did.

DS7 is retaining the rules and I have seen improvement. I like that it appeals to hands-on AND visual learners. It is very easy to teach as everything is laid out for you. We usually split each lesson up into 2 days and I don't have him spell with the tiles anymore unless I feel he *needs* to "see/feel" the rule. However, I do still use the tiles to teach the rules. Make sense?

The only tip I have is to put magnets on the tiles and keep them "set up" on a cookie sheet or something. Easier to store and your dc won't tire of putting them in ABC order everyday! Although the practice of that is good once in awhile. Oh, and I had all of my cards laminated so they would be sure to last for the next kiddo...course that meant I had to cut everything twice! :eek:

AAS is our second curriculum as well. Dd is a hands-on learner and the tiles vastly improved her ability to "get it." At about the half way point of our school year I gave an oral mid-year test on all the words and rules learned to date. She only had problems spelling one word. We finished two weeks ago. I gave a daily test of 34 words each day for five days which encompassed all 170 words. She only missed one. The same word as before. For some reason she has a time trying to spell "milk." Then on the 6th day I gave a written rule test using all the rules she learned during the year. She was able to remember all of them.

So with that success I'm looking forward to starting level 2 in the fall. AAS seems to be a perfect fit for us.