Menu

another etsy question

I think it depends on how much of what you copy is unique to that person.

For example, if someone is making quilted baby blankets, you could, I think, also make quilted baby blankets. But if she had a design of the pieces that was unique to her, then it would be unethical to copy it. But if she was using standard designs (tumbling blocks, or whatever), then it would be OK.

On the other hand, if the seller was making something that was a fairly unique design altogether - for example, I saw recently some velcro-closing cotton bags designed for putting snacks (cookies or chips or pretzels) in lunch boxes - then I think you'd need to have some unique feature on yours that made it different - for example, the ones I saw were all cotton, if I made them I'd do a waterproof liner and perhaps a zip closure or a long velcro strip instead of the flap of cotton/velcro dot that the original had.

I will just say that if you stumbled on my mom's etsy site and decided to copy something that is specific to what she makes...either in design or color scheme...you would be taken to court over copyright issues.

Many of the etsy artists are protected by copyright laws.

Good art will always spark and inspire, but you have to be very careful with how closely you copy something. Basically, the very thing that makes their piece unique you should probly leave alone or tweak quite a bit.

Hope that helps!

I will just say that if you stumbled on my mom's etsy site and decided to copy something that is specific to what she makes...either in design or color scheme...you would be taken to court over copyright issues.

Many of the etsy artists are protected by copyright laws.

Good art will always spark and inspire, but you have to be very careful with how closely you copy something. Basically, the very thing that makes their piece unique you should probly leave alone or tweak quite a bit.

Hope that helps!

What I was thinking of is not really original art work but a type of craft item that almost anyone could do.

On the other hand, if the seller was making something that was a fairly unique design altogether - for example, I saw recently some velcro-closing cotton bags designed for putting snacks (cookies or chips or pretzels) in lunch boxes - then I think you'd need to have some unique feature on yours that made it different - for example, the ones I saw were all cotton, if I made them I'd do a waterproof liner and perhaps a zip closure or a long velcro strip instead of the flap of cotton/velcro dot that the original had.

But there are dozens of sellers of these on Etsy - some are all cotton, others are lined with PUL - some have flaps, some do not... I made some using a tutorial on a website from a homeschool mom.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure how much out there actually is new or unique. And at what point of the copying is it somehow just an idea "in the public domain"? Those cotton baggies are a good example. Someone must have been the first person to come up with that eco-idea - in the relatively recent past too. But who knows who it was at this point.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't... just that it's so vague and that literally everyone seems to be doing it. Also that all artists steal and copy - if you take an art class you might even be encouraged to try to recreate a painting as an exercise so you can better steal from the techniques! Crafting is a little different, and I do think there could be a line - if not from a legal standpoint, then from a moral one. But I think it's VERY tough to suss out. I also think at least some of it will be inherently personal. What can you live with? When do you feel like you're stealing?

But there are dozens of sellers of these on Etsy - some are all cotton, others are lined with PUL - some have flaps, some do not... I made some using a tutorial on a website from a homeschool mom.

And at what point of the copying is it somehow just an idea "in the public domain"?

Ah - I have only seen the one kind. (Came across it this weekend, not on etsy. Wasn't impressed with the particular design but thought it had possibilities for improvement. Glad to see others are all over it!)

I agree - once it gets to the point that the idea of the item is everywhere, then it's a bit different. The idea of the function of the item (washable bag for snacks, or washable Swiffer pads, or whatever) isn't unique, though the particular design may still be.

Also, if you learn how to make something from an on-line tutorial, many of these will have a Creative Commons license that explains how you may use the item. Many of these tutorial-makers allow free use of their design for personal or charitable reasons, but ask for recognition or a piece of the profit if you make them to sell, which seems only fair to me.

It *does* take quite some time, and several prototypes with the accompanying expenses, to develop a quality product, so ideally the people who do that should be able to make a little bit off of it, at least at first.

If the item itself isn't a new idea (barrettes with felt flowers, for example), then I don't think it's a problem so long as you aren't copying someone else's exact designs.

Of course, there is actual copyright law to consult -

things like are you reducing the market for the original, how much of the original are you using in your item, are customers going to confuse your work with the original and what is the effect of that on the original maker, etc. etc.