Menu

Need Advise

pamd

I need to know the pro's and con's to two different LA's. I need it to keep him interested and to remember and be enjoyable. They are Winston Grammar and Grammar Ace. I only want to use one or the other. Are they both complete curriculum?:confused:

I used this with oldest ds. He didn't like it much, but then he really doesn't see the point in doing grammar so that isn't much to go on. :D

I thought it was a pretty good grammar program, and I've used quite a few (R&S, Abeka, Winston, Fix-It). I liked how it has the child use cards to help identify the parts of speech in a sentence. It does not cover diagramming, at least at the Basic level. There is an Advanced Level too that we haven't done. I'm sorry I can't compare it to Grammar Ace.

ETA: Winston does not cover capitalization or punctuation if that's what you mean by complete. It covers parts of speech, modifiers, and noun function.

Edited by romeacademy
capitalization and punctuation remark

We have done both and in fact I am selling my complete grammar ace program. My kids did well with both of them. I like grammar ace because adding the dvd to the program made it fun for my kids, but some of my other kids did well with WG because it took a very no nonsense approach to grammar. WG would have more to it than grammar ace because of the advanced level, but if you want your kids to learn grammar quickly and easily grammar ace would do the trick.

I have the Winston Grammar Basic set and started last year with that. I thought my Aspergers/ADD kid would prefer that, he has weak fine motor skills. In my opinion, it is too basic. I've found that I really prefer First Language Lessons. We started Level 3 last year for a 5th grader with little language arts/grammar education and are finishing that level this year. The diagramming in FLL is super easy but follows a good logical pattern. Just works better for us than Winston. YMMV!

My son has memory issues - and no matter how many times we have gone over basic grammar - he has forgotten it all. So we started Winston Basic this year - and he's actually retaning it!

It is multisensory - so if you have a child that needs that it is perfect.

We have done both and in fact I am selling my complete grammar ace program. My kids did well with both of them. I like grammar ace because adding the dvd to the program made it fun for my kids, but some of my other kids did well with WG because it took a very no nonsense approach to grammar. WG would have more to it than grammar ace because of the advanced level, but if you want your kids to learn grammar quickly and easily grammar ace would do the trick.

Do you still have the grammar ace program for sell and if so how much are you wanting for it. Thanks for responding.:D