Menu

Da Vinci Exhibit Typos

It's post-apocalyptic, I think.

The big placards, whatever you call them, at the museum--& I do mean the BIG ones--had at least two errors.

"It's" instead of "Its"

&

"In this one of da Vinci's drawing, we see...."

Besides which the writing was just terrible. Poor explanations, irrelevant information, junk. I'm so disappointed.

And the exhibit that was advertised as "Leonardo: Man. Inventor. Genius." had ONE actual piece of da Vinci's work: a notebook. Everything else was posters of his drawings from which models had been built. Interesting, but not what I was expecting, kwim? I'd thought it was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime DA VINCI exhibit, kwim?

Probably worth it, but not the breath-holding excitement that I'd thought. :glare: I want to feel like I got to touch hands w/ da Vinci through the glass like they do on the movies w/ a convict.

Hey Aubrey - I am sorry to hear you were disappointed! We have gone to the exhibit three times this summer, and enjoyed it each time. My kids relished the hands-on aspect of it, and seeing the progression of his inventions really had me thinking. But you know what - I am not a "science" thinker so I am easily amused!!! I keep debating whether to run out there one more time to purchase the software that was interactive with the exhibit. One of my boys was enthralled with it!

I guess since it is traveling through the kid museums, maybe they really couldn't have authentic artifacts? Not sure if that is what you mean.

Aside from that - did you enjoy the remodeled museum?

Hey Aubrey - I am sorry to hear you were disappointed! We have gone to the exhibit three times this summer, and enjoyed it each time. My kids relished the hands-on aspect of it, and seeing the progression of his inventions really had me thinking. But you know what - I am not a "science" thinker so I am easily amused!!! I keep debating whether to run out there one more time to purchase the software that was interactive with the exhibit. One of my boys was enthralled with it!

I guess since it is traveling through the kid museums, maybe they really couldn't have authentic artifacts? Not sure if that is what you mean.

Aside from that - did you enjoy the remodeled museum?

I'd never been to the FW museum, but it was *wonderful.* I was just disappointed w/ the advertising of the da Vinci & then the print part.

Oh no! We were planning to do this tomorrow! I really hate to drive that far and then be disappointed! We haven't been since the remodeling and was looking forward to seeing the new building.

Did either of you happen to see Van Gogh at the Omni?

If it's the same exhibit we had here, we loved it (though the notebook is a facsimile IIRC), and the kids begged to go back. They spend a lot of time playing with the simple machines, building the bridge, writing backwards and we went through slowly, talking about how everything would work. The only drag with the Mona Lisa room. I was fascinated, but it was largely lost on the kids other than the different restorations (of colour).

I used to write museum graphics. The key to success is to have many careful proofreaders!

Proofreaders before you send the copy to the plaque company.

Proofreaders when the sign company sends the draft/mock-up for your perusal.

Yes, there are many bad writers out there. But even good writers make mistakes, and are often so "close" to their own work that they fail to recognize errors. We all need a little help from our friends - the grammatically gifted ones, that is! Gotta catch those errors before they are set in stone (sometimes literally...).

I would have also been disappointed to see such errors in a public display. It is a sign of careless, perhaps rushed, work. I'd have to leave a comment about it somewhere (visitor card, web site, etc).