Menu

Readiness and The Reading Lesson

Mushy1127

My son is 4.5 years old and very bright. We discovered recently that he has quite an extensive list of sight words and has been able to sound out letters since around 2 years old. Because of his other abilities and his eagerness to learn we decided to start kindergarten with him this year. (And by "start kindergarten" I mean mess around and hopefully finish K by the time he would start first grade. I by no means mean that I'm drilling him with flashcards and worksheets and expect him to perform the way a 6 year old in public school would.)

Someone gave me a copy of The Reading Lesson and I started it with him to day. He liked it just fine(especially the drawing lines to the pictures that start with a certain letter, etc), but was really frustrating ME when we got to the part where he should sound out two letters together. He'd have no trouble reading "a" and then "t" but when they were together he'd look at ME and just say something "tat" or "lat" or whatever. Same for any combination of letters. A and S or C and A. No problems until it came to blending them. When I'd remind him to look at the page read what was actually written down he'd claim he "forgot" the answer. I put it aside and we did some other activities.

Is he simply just not ready to do this or is something else going on? I've taught quite a few children to read but never had this happen before. Anyone else's kid do this? I honestly felt like he was stonewalling me. He'd look at me and not the page and just say whatever came to mind. I know he wasn't thrilled about having to do THIS part and not the more hands on "fun" parts. But a part of me figures this is school. It's not all 100% fun times. But then again he is only 4.

Thoughts?

He's not ready to blend. It's a developmental step. When he gets it, he will cooperate and it will be easy.

I don't ask my kids to blend. I show them how to do it, in more informal situations. One day, they show me how they can do it. Then we start "real" reading lessons. So far that is how it has worked, anyway.

My son is 4.5 years old and very bright... He'd have no trouble reading "a" and then "t" but when they were together he'd look at ME and just say something "tat" or "lat" or whatever. Same for any combination of letters. A and S or C and A. No problems until it came to blending them. When I'd remind him to look at the page read what was actually written down he'd claim he "forgot" the answer.

I think that children get to their developmental stages at different times, and maybe your son hasn't got to the phonic blend stage just yet. He will, when he's ready :001_smile: I think that it's a question of keeping the resources/opportunities available so that when he does become ready for the next stage, he can move into it straight away.

Too funny, b/c my 4 yr old son is the exact.same.way. He will sound out p-e-t perfectly, but when I have him do the whole word at once, he'll say "bab" or something ridiculous. I either want to throttle him or laugh my head off. :tongue_smilie: He also gets frustrated when he doesn't get it right and says it's too hard. No tears or anything, just sort of shutting down. I'm so glad others have given advice, b/c I need someone to say "he's just not ready". Otherwise, I feel like I'm giving up - or letting him give up - when I decide to back off.

FWIW, he does hear the sounds blending with "-at" words, something he has had lots of practice with. So if you want to keep working on it, I would say just keep reviewing with fun games (I use McRuffy K, which includes games) and other fun activities. And Leap Frog Talking Word Factory is good at going over cvc words.

My ds was the same way at that age 4-5 he could sound out a word and not hear it. Dd on the other hand is 4.75, and she is able to blend cvc words easily. Although she has a shorter attention span for learning. I think it is a developmental thing. It is probably best to shelve it for a bit and work on him recognizing sounds in words.

Thanks so much everyone. I think I will put it away and maybe try again after Christmas. He did love the Letter Factory DVD so maybe I'll request it from the library and just let it go. I am glad to hear someone else's son does the same thing. :) Thanks for your advice.

When you try it next you might add a step where you slowly blend it with him. That might help him over the developmental issue earlier, providing a bridge for him till he owns it himself.

It would look like like this:

Have him do the sounds:

/i/ /t/

With him do:

iiiiiiiittttttt

Then wait for him to say (at normal pace):

it

Over time as her progresses you just start pausing at the slow blend stage, and when he is comfortable he will probably take over and do it without you then after he owns it he will probably naturally drop that sage entirely.

Though it is probably not the best example because you can't hold the t. Try to stick to sounds you can hold at first like as, in, on then move to sounds where you can't hold (t, d, p, b, ect...).

Heather

Edited by siloam

It is probably best to shelve it for a bit and work on him recognizing sounds in words.

Dumb question, but when you say "recognizing sounds in words", do you mean saying the words to him, and having him pick the correct word out of a short list? The reason I'm asking is b/c McRuffy Phonics has assessments every 5 lessons, in which I am supposed to say a word, and he is to circle the correct match. For instance, I say "pan" and he circles "pan" instead of "pen" or "pat". But write the word "pan" for him to read, and he has trouble.

Just wanted to see if this was what you were referring to. If so, I think I will do the same as the OP'er and shelve the blending for now, but continue doing these sorts of activities. If anything, it'll boost his confidence. He really enjoys it!

When you try it next you might add a step where you slowly blend it with him. That might help him over the developmental issue earlier, providing a bridge for him till he owns it himself.

It look like like this:

Have him do the sounds:

/i/ /t/

With him do:

iiiiiiiittttttt

Then wait for him to say (at normal pace):

it

Over time as her progresses you just start pausing at the slow blend stage, and when he is comfortable he will probably take over and do it without you then after he owns it he will probably naturally drop that sage entirely.

Though it is probably not the best example because you can't hold the t. Try to stick to sounds you can hold at first like as, in, on then move to sounds where you can't hold (t, d, p, b, ect...).

Heather

I'm totally hijacking this thread (sorry!), but I do like your - and another poster's - suggestion to blend WITH him, instead of expecting him to do it himself. I do that with my son, but only after a few tries of him doing it himself. Maybe if I do it right away with him, he will get less discouraged.

I'm totally hijacking this thread (sorry!), but I do like your - and another poster's - suggestion to blend WITH him, instead of expecting him to do it himself. I do that with my son, but only after a few tries of him doing it himself. Maybe if I do it right away with him, he will get less discouraged.

Yes, please! It really isn't a test. It is fine to meet them where they are and as they grow proficient they will pull away and do it on their own. Right now they need that safety net. :)

Heather

Yes do blend with him that helped my ds to catch on. Also in regards to what I meant about recognizing sounds. Some ideas:

Pick a book to read to him, and tell him to listen for a specific sound as you are reading. Everytime he hears it have him raise his hand. Also be sure and move your finger along under the words you are reading stopping at some to slowly sound them out. Then say them faster.

Have him find things around the house that start with a paticular letter.

Once he can do that easily start having him listen for sounds in the middle of words. HTH

• 1 month later...

I am happy to announce that I have a reader! I was given a gift card to Books-a-million and thought "what the heck, I'll get the Reading Lesson." I don't know if it was the book or his age/development, or what- but after one day he was blending. He's not especially thrilled to do it so I am sticking to things he enjoys like the Montessori Pink reading "games" and things like that. He has to date read the first 2 Bob Books and one Now I'm Reading Book.

I don't know that I have ever been more proud. I LOVE reading so much. I look forward to sharing that with him someday.

Thanks for you help and advice!