Menu

Does anyone use Calvert math?

Blueridge

• 3 weeks later...

We've used Calvert math K-8th over the years. I've been very pleased with their textbooks and workbooks. The textbooks are colorful, but not distracting, and the pages are not overly filled to the brim with problems like other programs I've looked at, although still offering plenty of practice problems. There are also paper manipulatives in the back of each textbook or you can purchased their solid math manipulative kit if you have a "hands-on" type of learner. The paper ones worked well enough for us.

We've used this program since the beginning of our homeschool and NEVER found the need to even look around once we started. Another homeschoolmom freind of ours switched to Calvert math a few years ago when they "hit the wall" with Abeka math, around 3rd grade. They are still using Calvert successfully with their children.

Just a couple cons:

1. Cost. It is not an inexpensive program, however because I never needed to switch midstream to something else, I suppose that saved me a lot of time and money.

2. Teachers manual. Get this for sure. The manual breaks down the curriculum into 160 days with lesson plans and pages to cover. It's great and a no-brainer for me. Also, the back of the TM has all the answers to both the text and workbook. Again, less work for me grading the work.

Unless you get lucky and find the TM on ebay (which Calvert DOES NOT give permission to sell), you'll have to buy directly through Calvert....which is what I did for all the grades.

Other than that, I would very highly recommend Calvert math to anyone who asks my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Lavender in Oklahoma