Menu

CLE Reading vs. DITHOR

5sweeties

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between what a 3rd to 5th grader can get out of these two programs? I have been searching for lit program for my younger children for quite some time. Drawn Into the Heart of Reading looks good, but I am wondering what I could gain or loose from CLE? We are using CLE for the end of this year and next year, for our Language Arts, and I have been very pleased with it, in every way. It seems to be an excellent fit for my dd's, and I am wondering if their reading program would be the same?

Thanks!

CLE is done mostly independently using their readers and workbooks. The child reads short stories and poems and does the workbook. As the teacher, you just check their work and help over the rough spots.

DITHOR requires that you pick the book for them to read and oversee what they do in a more detailed way. This program uses books versus the stories of CLE.

I was considering both a year ago, and the voice of reason won out and I went with CLE with no regrets. My time for planning/overseeing is even less now, and DITHOR wouldn't have gotten done frankly. CLE has gotten done and has been great for us. My younger one did the 2nd grade program, and my older one did the 4th and half of the 5th grade program. Next year my younger one will do the 3rd grade program, and the older will finish the 5th grade program and do the 6th.

sold DITHOR. DITHOR was too teacher intensive for me and didn't cover a third of what CLE reading covers. DITHOR is great to do all together(mult.dc) and CLE is for independent work (grades 4-8).

They also can be used together. CLE reading is only 15 weeks so you can use DITHOR for the other weeks of your school year. CLE uses a reader; DITHOR uses whole books that you choose.

I highly recommend CLE reading!

Here's what's covered in CLE reading 5:

SUNRISE READING 500 – Open Windows

LightUnit 501

Vocabulary words

Cause and effect

Identifying strong, active verbs

Describing story characters

Identifying similes

Defining words from context

Choosing facts to support a statement

Writing progressive degrees of a concept

Working with personification

Proving or disproving statements about a

story

Identifying and interpreting figures of

speech

Completing analogies

Inferring facts not directly stated

Understanding circumstantial evidence

and proof

Defining and using homographs

Understanding the term idiom

Interpreting common idioms

Answering five W questions

Numbering story events in order

Telling what story characters learned from

the way God worked

Listing traits of story characters

Working with rhythm and rhyme scheme

in poetry

LightUnit 502

Working with vocabulary words

Defining words from context

Understanding a proverb

Creating an alternate story title

Identifying character’s feelings

Identifying the most important event in a

story

Completing analogies that have more than

one correct answer

Understanding a nonverbal message

Predicting what happened after the story

Marking poetic rhythm

Using principle and principal

Scanning for answers or topics

Evaluating story characters’ actions

Identifying a story’s main lesson

Understanding the meaning of prejudice

and its foolishness

Identifying a biography

Defining foot as used in poetry

Identifying metrical feet in a poem

Thinking about race prejudice

Working with synonyms

Marking rhythm in a poem

LightUnit 503

Telling what could have happened

Identifying main ideas and summaries

Identifying a characters fears and hardships

Learning about other inventions of

Benjamin Franklin

Marking poetic rhythm and meter

Working with perfect and imperfect rhyme

Numbering unstated events in order

Identifying figures of speech

Defining and identifying metaphors

Finding evidence to support statements

Outlining a simple story plot

Explaining a figure of speech

Identifying metaphors, similes, and personification

Defining words from their context

Suggesting others whom the sinking of the

Titanic would have affected

Comparing a poem and a story

Identifying main ideas of paragraphs

Explaining the meanings of sentences

Understanding conflict, internal conflict,

and external conflict

Identifying areas of conflict in the story

LightUnit 504: Out in Nature

Identifying cause and effect

Identifying the story purpose and details

that further the story purpose

Working with guide words

Using the dictionary

Finding metaphors in the Bible

Defining biography

Identifying a metaphor in a poem

Scanning to locate facts

Writing an essay imagining he is Peter

walking on the water

Identifying a metaphor from the story

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Writing another title for the story

Making a prediction

Categorizing natural resources

Naming reference books needed to find

answers to given questions

Identifying hints of how a character will act

Defining free verse

Identifying main ideas, story lessons, and

summaries of stories

Completing a poetic couplet

Reading about KJV Bible

Rewriting KJV phrases in modern English

Identifying characters, setting, external

and internal conflict in the story

Understanding a character’s actions

Imagining what might have happened

LightUnit 505

Working with vocabulary words.

Understanding story characters’ actions

and feelings

Working with main idea, story lesson, and

summary

Thinking about idle words

Working with personification

Making a simple outline of a story

Categorizing words

Explaining an idiom

Identifying emotions as shown by words

Interpreting figures of speech

Defining circumstantial evidence

Scanning for answers

Imagining details not given

Imagining story characters’ feelings and

explaining possible reasons for their

actions

Telling what might have happened

Identifying similes

Choosing exact, specific verbs to replace

weak ones

Learning the term epigram

Join the CLE yahoo group to see samples and the complete scope & sequence charts.

HTH,

That helps a great deal.

If you were to use both CLE and DITHOR during a school year, would you schedule them one after the other, or inter-mixed throughout the year?

I was a lit major in college, and while I absolutely do not want my children to miss out on reading whole books, I have no intention of allowing them to lack the ability to intelligently discuss and understand literature.

I want it all, and it seems like very few elementary level programs possess both characteristics. I was impressed by K12 last year, but with 5 children and the cost of K12, we simply cannot use that program.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about all of this, and also wondering...

If you use CLE Reading only, do you, and if so where do you, fit whole books into a child's year? Are they avid readers and read for fun in bed at night? Do you schedule time out of their school day for them to do silent reading? My younger dc, while they do love to read a good book, are not the type to choose reading over other, more acitive, activities. (Much unlike their older sis!)

Any great advice on scheduling great whole books, into a school year, already crowded with wonderful learning opportunities?

If you use CLE Reading only, do you, and if so where do you, fit whole books into a child's year? Are they avid readers and read for fun in bed at night? Do you schedule time out of their school day for them to do silent reading? My younger dc, while they do love to read a good book, are not the type to choose reading over other, more acitive, activities. (Much unlike their older sis!)

Any great advice on scheduling great whole books, into a school year, already crowded with wonderful learning opportunities?

In line with my other comment, we use Sonlight for history/lit because it keeps me sane, so they also have reading from that. The Sonlight reading is easy (but productive) for them, so there's not a problem doing both the Sonlight readers and CLE.

Thanks so much for that alternate viewpoint! I like what I see...I'm just worried about missing out on the technical side of literature. Perhaps the combo of the two, is just what I'm looking for!

I was thinking to spread DITHOR out over 2 years, per level, anyway. Perhaps, this is just the answer. Combining them.

To me...learning to read a book, poem, short story, text of any sort...is the absolute key to all learning, hand-in-hand with writing and expressing thoughts and ideas. I'm much more concerned about this issue, really, than all other aspects of my children's education. The old, give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime, mentality!:001_smile:

trying to do Lightning Lit. & Comp. 7 then DITHOR with CLE reading and some other literature guides - SL, Omnibus II, etc. which I already own/owned or got online free. We've been on a Shakespeare streak for a couple of months now so that has taken some of our lit. analysis time so my dc have just been reading assigned books that they choose (I give them 3-4 to choose from)without me trying to do anything with those books.

to teach a particular literary element. I don't know if CLE Reading does this, but I know DITHOR does not. We started DITHOR and fizzled out b/c *I* didn't have the time to really teach it and plan it. It's not very involved, but at the time...I was just really disorganized and burned out, KWIM? We plan to revisit it this summer. I like how DITHOR uses whole books and not just little exerpts from books, taken out of context for the sole purpose of teaching this or that lit. element. K12 literature did this and I hated it. For example, my dd was studying character using a portion of the book, Little Women. Well, she had already read the entire book before getting to this and the "exerpts" actually confused her! Taken out of context, it didn't make sense to her! So, from then on, when we got to one of those "exerpts", I would just have her read the book! Anyway, this is just my opinion. I'd much rather my dc read the whole book. Using exerpts from literature for dictation or copywork is fine. For lit. study...I prefer the whole book approach. JMHO and certainly not a knock against anybody who prefers the other approach! :D

we haven't used it yet- but am looking forward to it! I plan on jumping in next year. I too wanted to use "real books" and I liked how it was developed by a teacher plus uses Bloom's taxonomy. As a side note, a good friend of mine is currently going back to school to be a teacher in middle school English (preferably) or Science and she was very impressed with it. She's considering purchasing it for herself to use with her own teaching in the future. That was pretty reassuring! :)

Jacey

We also use LL and my kids read pretty much anything they can get their hands on. :)