Menu

McRuffy 1st Grd Se question

Hi

I just got my McRuffy 1st Grade SE materials.. In looking over the Spelling and phonics work book.. it seems so hard.. right away it jumps into doubling ending letters to add ing.. one of the spelling words is stack..

seems hard or is my 6 year old beginning reader behind?

We had been using Spelling Workout A.. which seems so easy..

thoughts?

eta: we did not use McRuffy for grade K.. I used Horizons, OPG (first half), ETC and readers

Edited by ChantyD3

That would seem hard to my 6 yr old. We are in unit 2 of R&S phonics grade 1, and into the long vowels and different spellings of each long vowel, and that is hard to my dd. We haven't gotten anywhere near doubling consanents and adding suffixes yet.

Now the 'ck' at the end of a short vowel word like in "stack" rule we have gotten to in unit 1. But we don't start beginning consanent blends until next week. So after next week, "stack" would be an ok word for my dd's spelling. But the doubling consanents is not anywhere near the beginning of the year for us. Hope it works out for you. I have found on these tougher new concepts for my dd6 that it helps to go slowly and stretch a lesson out over 2 days instead of pushing forward when it gets tough on her.