Menu

Latin Prep 1 ideas

Heather in WI

My son has completed Latin for Children levels A-C and we switched to Latin Prep for this year.

Could you share how you use Latin Prep? As in, Mondays we do________, Tuesdays we __________, and so on?

So far, we've just been reading and doing the exercises. Should we be making flash cards? Chanting? Something else?

DD the Elder does one exercise a day, usually four days a week... two if one is very short. For longer passages, we take two days: one to read carefully (aloud, with emphasis on correct pronunciation) and translate, and another to re-read and do the questions. Vocabulary drill is 5-10 minutes a day, every day.

I shifted to flashcards via Anki for vocabulary drill:

• four principle parts for verbs (cognates noted on answer card)
  • nom, genitive for nouns (cognates noted on answer card)
  • case endings
  • verb tense endings
  • English to Latin where appropriate

We introduce new vocabulary a chapter ahead so it's down before it starts being used.

Thank you!

I googled Anki ... just to be certain, is this to what you were referring? http://ichi2.net/anki/

Yes. You can use regular flashcards as well, and Galore Park also sell flashcards you can order through HorribleBooks.com. I had quite a job getting the macrons in the text for Anki.