Menu

How would you grade Beautiful Feet Ancients?

New here, and just entering into the high school years. (gulp!)

I plan to use BF Ancients and award 1 history credit, 1 classical lit credit, and 1/2 world geography credit, per BF's suggestions on their website.

Since I've never had to grade a child before, I'm wondering how to break these subjects down into quantifiable components. IOW, how do I evaluate them for the purpose of assigning grades?

Also, the only tests per se are included with the Streams of Civilization textbook. Should I just use those tests to assign grades for the history component, or should I add to them?

Anyone???

I suppose my question could be more general, since it's not necessarily unique to BF. Basically, I'm wondering how others grade their high schoolers' history and literature classes when they are combined and literature-based.

Any suggestions, or links to other threads that have covered this topic is greatly appreciated. We start in 2 weeks and all of a sudden, I'm realizing I don't have a clue as to how to issue grades! Yikes!

Gina,

I used part of BF Ancients for my 10th grade dd the first year I started homeschooling.

We focused on "notebooking" what she learned. She created notebook pages that were assigned in BF and expanded on that a bit using ideas from Heart of Wisdom's website etc. She basically created her own "textbook" about what she read. She is an artsy gal, so it was more artistic than stuffed with facts, with hand-drawn maps and quotes written in calligraphy along the margins etc. But it covers a lot of ground.

I brought it to my local support group and they recommended she get an A++++ :001_smile: She also remembers everything that she learns well, so I didn't have to test her on that.

Another boy in the support group then went on to use BF and the notebook approach. His notebook looked very different and had a more factual and maybe architectural drafting feel at times. But again there was a ton of learning in generating his own notebook rather than filling in blanks.

So I guess I'm saying that with a class like BF, you have a lot of choices in how you might evaluate the work.

Julie