Menu

Too busy of a 7th grade schedule?

Hey Everyone!

My daughter is going into 7th grade this coming year... (ok 2 wks from now!!)

She's doing CC with the "Classical Conversations" group. She will be doing the Latin's Not So Tough book, but mostly it will be work because of vocabulary. (this will be her 5th year of Latin... this is going backwards for her as she's done LC I and II and two years of Henle)

She'll be doing Math (Saxon 8/7) which I don't really care for, but she doesn't like math so she just wanted a "do it and get it over with". and the other courses... I figure that it's going to take her 5 hrs of school plus some homework on Saturday.

At public school, just a block away, she'll be volunteering at the neighborhood elementary school, art class, lunch, and band (well, 2 bands because she'll be there for 7th and 8th grade band)

She does ballet for 3 hrs a week and jazz for 1 hr a week.

She also might do youth group on Wednesdays for 2 hrs.

This is all she'll do... her whole 7th grade life.

I've gone through with 2 public school kids....through middle school... but...

does this seem too much?? I mean... She won't start till 9:30 in the morning and lunch... and then over at 2:30pm...

I have to admit I want her to be really busy, partially so I can have some carved out time for my 7 year old... free from distractions of a "preteen" on hormones. She's good for everyone else! It's just me that she lets lose on :)

What'cha think??

:)

Hey Angela:) Four days a week for school, because the 5th she'll be at CC and "skip" that ps day. Basically the band will be guaranteed "practice" time.... her band instructor has known us for a while and suggested that... She is a quick reader... although I'm not sure about the CC books, as she can't even pick one that slightly interests her. (And I just LOVE Carry on Mr Bowditch. I'm actually gonna purchase the unabridged version read by Jim Weiss, hoping it can spark a tiny interest in her)

Some thrive on a busy schedule, and others get stressed out. Talk with your daughter to see what she thinks. She could give herself more free time if she started school earlier in the day. Why would she have homework on Saturday? I guess I've never considered that there could be homework over the weekend if they work during the week. :001_huh: Everyone needs some down time, and I would think Saturday would be a good opportunity. :)

Hey Angela:) Four days a week for school, because the 5th she'll be at CC and "skip" that ps day. Basically the band will be guaranteed "practice" time.... her band instructor has known us for a while and suggested that... She is a quick reader... although I'm not sure about the CC books, as she can't even pick one that slightly interests her. (And I just LOVE Carry on Mr Bowditch. I'm actually gonna purchase the unabridged version read by Jim Weiss, hoping it can spark a tiny interest in her)

Got it. It sounds great. My dc have always worked on Saturday. We only take off Sunday for a day of rest.

The CC books are well below grade level (to make it easier to do the writing,) so she should fly through them. They are all pretty good stories, once you get into them.

For A, it was about this much time here for middle dd, if it helps you plan:

Rhetoric - 30-45 min/ wk

Latin - 30 min/ day (she had had about the same experience as your dd)

Math - 45 min/ day

Science - 20 min/ day

Geography - 30 min/ day (you could do less, but they wanted to be able to draw the whole world and know the capitals)

IEW (first semester) - a few hours a week, less early on and then increasing for the last few weeks before Christmas

Lit (second semester) - one week reading the book (a few hours, depending on the book, Bronze Bow took the longest) and the next week writing (3-4 hours)

Four hours four days a week should cover it, though they say it takes up to twenty for some kiddos.