Menu

Microsocpe for biology question--help

Please, help. Hubby (my science guy) is not here to ask and I am trying to place an order (or bid) on a microscope for D, high school senior. .

Of course I am seeing all these great deals for 40x-1000x, 40x-1600x, and 40x-2000X biological microscopes. They require immersion oil, however, which can be a very tricky technique. Dr. Wile says he would never suggest anything over 400x for students.

Well, I am trying to find a compound (binocular) microscope that has 400X and I can't find one. [D gets a headache squinting with a monocular scope)

Does anyone have a lead on a 400x bino scope? Or can she use a 40x-1000x with no problem, assuming 1) she doesn't go to highest magnification and doesn't use immersion oil and 2) the scope has a halogen bulb? She says in her p/s biology class they all used electric compound bino microscopes with mechanical stages

Edited by distancia

Here's a site which has a binocular microscope.

http://www.sonlight.com/microscope.html

There are many others as well - it's best to do a search. There's no reason the 1000x has to be used, oil isn't needed for the other magnifications. If he's at all interested in going further with science in college, it might make sense to get one with the 1000x available since he needs the binocular microscope specifically.

If you do a search here, I think you'll find some other links too. :)

I just bought this on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350384951471&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_926wt_679 I looked elsewhere before buying and found that this is a very good scope selling on other science supply & materials sites for about $500- or more https://wardsci.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IG0014508_A_name_E_Swift+M7000D+Advanced+Microscopes+with+Binocular+Head.

Anyway, based on the specs-- 4XD, 10XD, 40XRD and 100XRD--can't I just use the 10x ocular lenses with the 40x to get a total of 400X magnification, therefore avoiding the use of immersion oil?

Thanks for an answer!

Edited by distancia

Did you get it for $99??? That's an amazing deal as it sells for up to $895! Could you give us an update when you get it? It sounds almost too good to be true!

What I don't understand, as I'm not familiar with such advanced microscopes, is what a "sealed" 40x lens means. It has RX or something with an R after the lens number to distinguish it in some way. All the features on it sound amazing - halogen light with dimmer, iris with protective cover, slow geared mechanical stage ... wow!!!

Good find! :)

Yes, I got it for $96 plus $23 shipping! I contacted the seller and he says it is new with original packaging, etc. This was one of those "deals" that sometimes crop up on eBay...they do come along occasionally.

Frankly, I think it is because these auctions have ended on Friday afternoons, and that it not a good time to end an auction. People have many other things on their minds. When I run my eBay auctions I always try to end on a Sunday evening, I know most people are home at that time and probably bored silly, surfing the web.

BTW, R mean retractable, so that when the scope head is turned the lens automatically retracts and therefore does not whack into the stage (the flat surface where you put the slides) and crack. [i've learned all this lingo in the past 48 hours while researching equipment].

Edited by distancia

http://store.amscope.com/b100-ms.html

We are VERY happy with this one. Have had it since Jan.

That was my runner-up choice!!!! If I had not come across the Swift I was going to buy the AmScope. I was reading a forum of pre-med students and they were all enthusiastic about the quality and the price of the AmScope.

So if, for whatever reason, my 'scope turns out to be a dud (though I notice it has a lifetime warranty) then I'm going to go with your model.

Anyway, based on the specs-- 4XD, 10XD, 40XRD and 100XRD--can't I just use the 10x ocular lenses with the 40x to get a total of 400X magnification, therefore avoiding the use of immersion oil?

Thanks for an answer!

According to the Ward site, your eyepiece magnifies 10x, so that will combine with any/all of the other lenses, giving you the options of 40x, 100x, 400x and 1000x. You would only need to do oil immersion if you are trying to view through the 1000x. We bought a similar microscope on ebay and while it goes up to 1000x, we have not used that yet. We may do some oil immersion for high school biology though.

We bought a similar microscope on ebay and while it goes up to 1000x, we have not used that yet. We may do some oil immersion for high school biology though.

If you do--or anyone else has done--an oil immersion (I have read they are super tricky!) can you share the details with us? Thanks!