Menu

My second dd is having trouble reading

JESSICAinMD

My soon to be 6 year old is having trouble learning to read. She switches lower case d’s and b’s. If I am not using a finger or other marker she won’t read the word from left to right. Just the sight of the OPGTR or Phonics Pathways made her cry so we are trying Progressive Phonics. When she tries to spell words she jumbles them. An S usually looks backwards or like a 3. She even spells her name backwards on occasion. In other ways she is so bright, I am at a loss for the best way to help her learn. Any advice or suggestions?

My soon to be 6 year old is having trouble learning to read. She switches lower case d’s and b’s. If I am not using a finger or other marker she won’t read the word from left to right. Just the sight of the OPGTR or Phonics Pathways made her cry so we are trying Progressive Phonics. When she tries to spell words she jumbles them. An S usually looks backwards or like a 3. She even spells her name backwards on occasion. In other ways she is so bright, I am at a loss for the best way to help her learn. Any advice or suggestions?

One suggestion- try a notched card. There is a picture and explanation here. Scroll to the bottom of page 2, to the subheading "While Your Child Reads Each Book".

It's really helpful for kids who are having trouble reading left to right.

Take a break for a few months and just read to her. Eventually she'll want to try again, and that's the time to pick it up again, probably with a different approach than you've already used. She's not yet 6, there's plenty of time.