Menu

Anyone use (and like) R&S or CLE social studies/history/geography?

lotsofpumpkins

I'm not looking to change anything right now; just thinking ahead. Days like today make me wonder what textbooks I'd pick for history and science if I had to! (I'm 29 weeks pregnant, coughing like crazy whenever I try to read aloud, and the children barely seem like they are listening; not that they can hear me with the toddler screaming at me...) Sometimes it seems like it'd be easier to have everyone doing their own thing once they are fluent readers. I'm mainly looking at the possibilities for 3rd and 4th grade for my oldest two next year. I love R&S and CLE for other subjects, but so few people seem to use them for content areas. Anyone here actually use them for science/history/geography/social studies?

ETA: I actually started off the year (in June) with my oldest two reading their history/science independently, sort of Robinson-style. I didn't like that I had no idea what they were reading (so it was hard to make sure they were comprehending). Plus my 2nd grader wasn't quite ready for some of the books on the list, so he wasn't getting anything out of it anyway. So, if we go back to independent learning for content subjects, I would want to use a textbook instead of a bunch of random books that may or may not be on the appropriate reading level for them.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

When my oldest was little I did history the WTM way (this was before SOTW), when I added 2 more kids to my routine I started using Veritas cards for them, thinking it would be a little easier (it was). Now I use R&S for the younger grades. I am very happy with it. We are now covering things I feel like I missed with my oldest. I am using 3rd and 6th grade this year, and used 5th last year. I think the geography is good, and my kids have learned a lot. using the textbooks has made my life much easier. It has taken less time, I can tell what the kids are learning, and they are happier too.

I still love to include history, so I own SOTW on CD. I have all 4. We listen to them in the car. We spend many hours in the car, so this works for us. My plan this year is to listen to the history for 2 or 3 weeks (2x a week) and then switch to a audiobook. We do classical music on another day. We have listened to many books this way. The kids enjoy it.

I just lost my post :ack2: but basically what I wrote was we switched to textbooks. We are on our third year. We used R&S, CLE and now are trying Bob Jones.

My kids really enjoy their textbooks (not the work part but the reading). In fact they wouldn't let me sell them because they want to read them again. We used them for Social Studies and Science.

My dd would share what she was reading and felt real smart with all the stuff she was learning ;).

My ds was happy that he didn't have to wait for mom anymore with these subjects. Before when we were using a more literature approach it wasn't always getting done and my son loves history.

I continue to purchase books from Sonlight, WP and MFW so they have lots to read. My dd goal is to read 30 books this year.

Also, you can always add a timeline if you like, skim their books (they really are interesting) and sometimes take a break from the workbooks and have them write a few paragraphs about the chapter. I also add in lots of audio books they have listened to all four SOTW and Vol. 1 of MOH along with many others

in its entirety for 1st and 2nd and almost in its entirety for 4th and 6th (we are not using Bible or Science for 4th and 6th). I am very happy with it so far. I did SOTW for my oldest two when they were 1st-4th, and now they are using MFW. This year we are doing modern history which is just too intense for my little girls, so I thought it would be a good year to try CLE all the way for them. My 4th and 6th graders are doing Social Studies in addition to MFW because it looked really good those years. So far so good. I can see moving entirely to CLE if they revise their older grades to Sunrise Editions. Algebra is in the works so I have hope. We are happy this year-- we will see how it continues.