Menu

TT Algebra II or Geometry??

DD will be in 9th grade. She is finishing up TT Algebra, and I am trying to decide if we should go to Algebra II or Geometry. I know the publishers of TT recommend taking Algebra II right away, and that is what I am leaning towards...but DD would like a break from Algebra.

I would love to hear any thoughts :)

Tammie, we were just discussing this to some extent on this thread. The information isn't specific to your question, but if you'll read through, you'll find that several posters recommend geometry in the middle as a way to buy time for students to mature sufficiently to handle some of the more abstract concepts of Algebra II.

We decided to use TT Geometry in 8th after BJU's Alg I program. DD enjoyed it --there was still Alg in the Geometry program so she doesn't feel she's forgotten anything. She just wanted a break from all Alg and really liked Geometry. In most pub and priv school they teach Alg I and then Geometry --at least in the two states I'm familiar with. Part of it is a maturity thing - part is to make sure the student has geometry prior to taking the ACT/SAT.

Standard Algebra 2 concepts are covered in TT's Algebra 2 AND in the first half of their Pre-Calc text (where the more abstract stuff is).

TT's Geometry requires some Algebra 1... so now might be a good place to stop and work Geometry (and apply some of the Algebra 1 skills that were learned). TT's Algebra 2 program works slowly through the concepts--so your student should not need to review Algebra 1 before jumping in.

In most programs working Geometry after Algebra 2 would leave a whole year without Algebra 2 practice... since half of Algebra 2 is contained in the Pre-calc text this is not that big of an issue.