Menu

Anubias outgrew our aquarium. Alternatives to throwing it away?

We have a large (75-gallon) freshwater tank and have had to clean out 3 very large clumps of anubias. The poor fish were slowly getting crowded out by the plants and didn't have any room to swim.

The plants are lush and healthy. I'd hate to just throw them on the compost heap. Any ideas? We tried calling our local aquarium store to see if they wanted them but they are closed today. We'll try them again tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas? These plants are not cheap if you try to buy them but we'd just give them away.

Thanks.

Pegasus

I googled "anubis cutting" and got some directions for propagating it. You cut the rhizomes in half and can give them away. Apparently this plant (from the websites I saw) are pretty expensive. Maybe you could sell some of your extra? When you contact the acquarium store perhaps you could ask them about thinning it and giving(or selling) them the extras? It looks like some species can be grown out of water too or in a slightly boggy terrarium.