Menu

Homeschool Laws in Georgia & Moving soon???

Ok, I am clueless so bear with me:) I was just looking up homeschooling laws and did not know about the "letter of intent" and some other things. I am in Atlanta and it looks like kindergarten is nor required in Georgia. So I don't need to do anything for my five yr old I am teaching this year? Also, we will be moving in the next few months, most likely the DC area so I'd need to know the law for VA or MD. If it is required in those would I just send a letter of intent after we move even though the school year has already started? :confused:

Ok, I am clueless so bear with me:) I was just looking up homeschooling laws and did not know about the "letter of intent" and some other things. I am in Atlanta and it looks like kindergarten is nor required in Georgia. So I don't need to do anything for my five yr old I am teaching this year? Also, we will be moving in the next few months, most likely the DC area so I'd need to know the law for VA or MD. If it is required in those would I just send a letter of intent after we move even though the school year has already started? :confused:

You are correct. You don't have to submit the Declaration of Intent form in Georgia unless your child is at least 6 years old by September 1 or has previously been enrolled in public school.

well in VA you can file for K(age 5 by deadline...end of Sept I believe) but no testing is required. There is no reason to tell them you exist really for K...

You do have to test for a 1st grade(age 6 by deadline) at the end of the year. Your NOI goes to district superintendent so you gotta wait until you move to file here anyway.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=VA

I am in VA and it looks like mandatory education begins at age five if before Sept. 30th. But it looks like you don't have to test or evaluate until your child is 6 by september 3oth. So I can't really answer if you have to submit paperwork for five year olds. If you are a HSLDA member, I would call them. Also, the Virginia Organization of Homeschoolers has a very helpful website.

I do know that if you are required to submit notice of intent, you have 30 days after you move in the state unless you move in the summer. If you move then, just do it at normal submit time. You send in a copy of your high school diploma or college transcript and a short description of the instruction. It can be very short. I have high schoolers and submit no more than a paragraph and am very vague - just naming some subjects and saying we use a variety of materials including online, books, videos, co-op, textbooks, etc. I have had no problems with it. I live in Fairfax County, the most populous county in VA.