Menu

Help filling in phonics gaps?

Jayne J

Ds and I finished up wtih OPGTR last year and took a break over the summer. He continued to read on his own daily, all summer long, and can read something like a Magic Trehouse book by himself, although he usually still prefers books with pictures at this point. We began our year with an informal reading eval. from ABeCeDarian's site, and ds did pretty well, landing himself in the "Shorter B" text, designed for "Reading at the 3rd grade level or above, but reading very slowly, or can't sound out unfamiliar words reliably" I know ds needs more phonics work--to get the rules down cold. (It was the nonsense words that tripped him up the most, although he barely missed the cut off for the next level up--C I think) So, while his reading seems solid, I want to bolster his phonics just a bit. Anyone know of a great, inexpensive program to gently encourage this? Or maybe a spelling program that would help? (I currently make my own program based on phonics rules.) Or am I making too big a deal out of it?

TIA!

We are doing Explode the Code online from the beginning to fill in the gaps. Not cheap but it doesn't take much time on my part and he his enjoying the games. It has a low "This again?" factor.

And we are also using http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonicslsnslinks.html which is FREE. (thank you, Elizabeth!!!)

Personally, I don't think you are making a big deal out of it. They need phonics instruction until they know the rules. It will help them decode larger words and prevent guessing which can hinder comprehension down the road. It's something I'm dealing with last year from using a program that wasn't very strong on the phonics. Now we are catching up! Review of even the easy stuff has helped his reading in the past couple weeks.

Edited by jannylynn

I think I'd leave reading instruction alone and move to spelling. Your son is reading appropriately for his age and he'll continue to improve with or without direct instruction in phonics. As long as he keeps reading regularly! You've gotten the ball rolling and it's not going to suddenly stop.

If you do go with spelling, I hear good things about AAS... Or if you felt he really does need more specific phonics work, you could use ETC as a phonics/spelling combo. They're pretty inexpensive books. I'm not sure which level would be right -- at least book 4 or above.