Menu

When and how many times do you recommend a student take the SAT?

The PSAT is offered in October and many students take it as a practice test in their sophomore year (or even earlier) and then take it "for real" in their junior year. A good PSAT score in their junior year can put them in the running for a Nat'l Merit Scholarship.

The SAT is offered five times a year. In general, students take it in May of their junior year and then again, if necessary, in November of the senior year. The latter date allows them to get the results in time for early college deadlines. The test can be taken multiple times and only the student's best score is sent on to the colleges.

HTH!

Sandy

PSAT's --

Dd took the PSAT ONLY during the fall of her junior year. She was a Natl Merit Scholar, so the fact that she only took the PSAT once didn't hold her back!

Once we found out that students can do the PSAT multiple times, we had ds take the PSAT both during his sophomore and junior year. He also did well; I think that taking it twice did help him to be more relaxed his junior year.

SAT's --

The "normal" way to take SAT's is in the May of junior year and then fall of senior year.

We didn't follow that timing, since my kids were doing AP's in May of junior year and SAT-II's in June of junior year. Both kids took the SAT in January of their junior year. They both scored well enough that they didn't bother retaking it, but if they had wanted to retake it they would have done their retake of the SAT in March of their junior year.

It only "counts" in 11th if you are hoping for a National Merit Scholarship opportunity. I would do it both in 10th and 11th, many recommend 9th as well, so that there is familiarity with the test before they take it for potential scholarship $. Also, I think the PSAT is pretty good in terms of prep for the SAT because they are very similar.

The ACT is different from the SAT in many ways. We decided to try a practice test at home from both ACT and SAT and then decide which test we thought would give ds the best scores. We found that our particular kid does better with the SAT. So, that is what we will prepare for. I didn't see any reason to make the kid prepare for two different types of tests...it seemed like it would make things harder.

HTH