Menu

AAS ?

Scuff

I've decided to go with AAS for DD7. She's a very tactile learner and struggles with R&S. I think this will help her a lot. I'm going to add DD6 in also and do them together. DD6 is a natural reader, easy to teach and should do fine. Last year DD6 did R&S phonics 1 for her K year. If she's doing AAS will she need R&S phonics 2, or can we just call phonics done?

I'm not familiar with R&S, but we do use AAS. I would think your dd would pick up phonics through the spelling. If she's reading well I probably wouldn't do both... JMO. My 6 y/o is the same way. He reads very well and he's bucking phonics work (not that your dd is bucking it...) so I'm going to lay off phonics, teach him the rule naturally through his reading out loud to me when he runs across a word he doesn't know and continue AAS....

Oh, good. I'm trying to simplify next year. Narrow down what we need to do and weed out the extra busywork. She hasn't balked at doing the phonics. Mostly. Sometimes it was too much writing. She does like to be included in doing school. But I also only have so much time in the day! Thanks!