Menu

If you did CLE math for elementary, can you say what your math was for 7th gr and up?

Because I thought I'd have dd eventually do CLE 7 (and maybe some of 8?), and then Lial's BCM, but in looking at the TOC for BCM, she could do a lot of that now and she's just in CLE5 and not that math-oriented! I mean, I realize that BCM prbly goes much more depth, but I think CLE does a lot with fractions, decimals, percents, etc.

Then I thought maybe Lial's or Foerster's for algebra. Would love to see what others have done!

Because I thought I'd have dd eventually do CLE 7 (and maybe some of 8?), and then Lial's BCM, but in looking at the TOC for BCM, she could do a lot of that now and she's just in CLE5 and not that math-oriented! I mean, I realize that BCM prbly goes much more depth, but I think CLE does a lot with fractions, decimals, percents, etc.

Then I thought maybe Lial's or Foerster's for algebra. Would love to see what others have done!

My dd (12) will be finishing CLE 7 in January, and heading right into Foerster's Algebra in February. CLE lays a strong foundation - I don't foresee any problems. And I'm excited to finally get to Algebra - my favorite! :lol:

Okay, GREAT! Thanks for answering! My big question is if they need something for pre-algebra between CLE 7 and algebra, and I can't seem to find any info if CLE8 is necessary or considered part of pre-alg or what. I'm so glad you answered.

So would CLE7 to Algebra (Foerster's or Lial's) work even for a weaker math student?

My dd10 did CLE 6 this past year (after slowly phasing out BJU 6...yawn). She is ready now for pre-algebra. I have Dolciani's Accelerated pre-algebra, LOF Pre-algebra and a couple of other pre-algebra and algebra 1 programs lying around. I've looked through all of them and she could do them...but we're in no hurry. She's competent but not a math whiz by any stretch. I don't think you need to do CLE 8 or BCM and then pre-algebra unless you are intentionally wanting to slow her down a bit.

I'd do CLE 6, pre-algebra and then algebra 1 or CLE 7 then algebra 1. I believe pre-algebra is for kids who aren't quite ready for alg 1. It's not a prerequisite.

I haven't decided what we'll do in the fall...I guess I need to make a decision :tongue_smilie:.

Okay, GREAT! Thanks for answering! My big question is if they need something for pre-algebra between CLE 7 and algebra, and I can't seem to find any info if CLE8 is necessary or considered part of pre-alg or what. I'm so glad you answered.

So would CLE7 to Algebra (Foerster's or Lial's) work even for a weaker math student?

I think CLE7 is enough pre-algebra, but I did forget that concurrent to CLE 7 my dd is doing LOF pre-algebra. She doesn't need to, and isn't really learning anything new with LOF, but she just loves the books. :001_smile:

THANK you-that's really really helpful. To restate:

1. after CLE6, they're ready for pre-algebra

OR

2. after CLE7, they're ready for algebra.

I still don't know if CLE 7 and 8 OR one or the other of them is considered pre-algebra, but the above info helps a LOT! Thanks!

And I guess if I wanted or needed to slow her down to mature or cement stuff, I could do CLE6 and 7 and then BCM and then Alg 1.

I'd love to hear from anyone else too!