Menu

Hive Advice Please

If you have been out of work for years doing the mommy thing, have an associates degree from years ago in a field that is 24/7 on demand "I needed you and this job done 2 hours ago" kinda of job that is NOT HIRING ANYWHERE someone with a passle of kids because you can't be available 24/7........And know that you must get a job NOW and you know you are going to have to make a career change and get a new cert in something, which would you consider:

phlebotomy training, cna, lpn, rn, or cosmetology license,

Other than cosmetology, all would require a start in Jan getting some classes out the way and the actual class start would be next fall. I just spoke with an adviser from a CC and she said jobs are scarce for all the medical except in the larger area (which I am near) due to so many dr's offices have shut down and the smaller hospitals are not able to hire. But maybe by the time I finish the program, things will be a better market. Plus side, she did assure me that Pleb would make $9.00 hr or so here, and rn would make $18.00 and up. Another plus would be the availability to work weekends and nights so I can continue homeschooling.

Cosmetology is hit or miss on pay. Some stylists make a lot and others make nothing. Schedule is rather flexible.

Another consideration is the ability to make enough money to offset my hubby going back to school after I get done.

Any thoughts? Anybody working those jobs now? Any inside tips? I'm going in circles trying to figure out what would be the best option long term as I would start in this new field and work until I died. (Kidding but not really as our social security isn't going to cover basic living and our retirement and college for the kids ARE GONE) We are trying to look at careers we can continue to work in some capacity during our "retirement" years to offset the lack of money.

THe Rn and cosmetology are pretty equal in terms of time spent and money spent to get the degree. The school work for either won't cause me much headache. The biggest pain will be finding care for kiddos while I am at school but the study part will be easy enough.

THoughts? Advice? BTDT? We need thoughts from people outside the window:D

Thanks!

Have you looked in becoming a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA)? It takes a 2 year degree and pays much better than $9 per hour, although I am not sure how much exactly. A COTA is very loosely supervised (meaning you are mostly on your own and do the work yourself not assisting someone as the name implies) and can work with kids or adults.

I've never heard of a time when cna's were not in high demand. W/ the schedules I've heard of, this seems like the ideal job (from your list) for hs'ing.

Would you be able/willing to move if nec? That might address any med field issues in your area.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything about any of those fields.

You may want to check more closely at the cc and ask more questions. I see a huge number of students trying to get a nursing degree who end up stuck in the general education classes and never get accepted to the nursing program.

Be sure to check the wait-list, the prerequisites, and if they have guaranteed admission. Be aware too that nursing courses sometimes are only offered at certain times and locations.

That's the extent of my knowledge... just be sure you don't end up taking courses and then don't get into the program.

Good luck!

Personally, I think RN's don't belong in that list. A whole different kettle of fish. The RN's coming out of school here are pretty much all 4 year bachelor degree nurses. I don't think we even have a 2yr program anymore for rn's. And RN cert exams are not a cakewalk. I've heard as high as 20% fail their first try...

LPN's have shorter education programs, but they're a lot lower on the totem pole when they come out.

FWIW, I'd definitely stick to the medical end of things. I think jobs in that field (& in funerals) are as recession proof as it gets, given the ageing population.

Edited by hornblower