Menu

Regarding Highschool history lit programs

Okay,

Not sure what to do about this self-inflicted "dilema"

We want to use either Notgrass or Beautiful Feet for highschool

Since both are "all in one" programs, meaning history, lit, and some writing, what do you do about Lit analysis?

I understand some companies such as Sonlight don't "believe" in lit analysis and that reading great literature should be enough.

Do any of you agree with this? My dd has gone to public school since 8th grade going into 10th so I assume she has some lit analysis already, but do any of you use these programs above and add another lit analysis program on top of them or just trust and have faith in the curriculum? If I added another lit program such as Light Lit or LLATL gold, I feel it would just be too much. We want to enjoy these last years and use a history lit program.

Thanks, anxiously awaiting replies, since I need to order soon!

I know nothing about either program, but if it includes literature and writing, wouldn't some of that writing include an analysis of the literature??

If you want to add more, don't go for another program, but just discuss the literature together using SparkNotes or other on-line guides. Even better would be to have a copy of the Well Educated Mind and use the questions in there as a spring board for conversations. You don't need a teacher's guide - you don't need to worry about right and wrong answers but are instead striving to get your student to think about what she (he?) reads, to form opinions about it and be able to persuasive defend that opinion. Best of all, you'll really enjoy discussing the books.

Don't feel obligated to discuss every title, just pick a few that you'd enjoy and carve out time to read aloud together or at least discuss.

My Father's World uses the Notgrass textbooks. I believe that Literary Analysis is included in their literature portion.

I also thought you might want to know a little more about Sonlight. We are using it for the first time this year, SL Core 100, with my 8th grade dd. The very first week she had to read an appendix section that was completely covering literary analysis. Each book's IG pages cover those topics as well, and she will have a writing assignment each week from the literature books. I was surprised to read that you think the company doesn't see it as important. Is it not included in earlier cores?

My Father's World uses the Notgrass textbooks. I believe that Literary Analysis is included in their literature portion.

I also thought you might want to know a little more about Sonlight. We are using it for the first time this year, SL Core 100, with my 8th grade dd. The very first week she had to read an appendix section that was completely covering literary analysis. Each book's IG pages cover those topics as well, and she will have a writing assignment each week from the literature books. I was surprised to read that you think the company doesn't see it as important. Is it not included in earlier cores?

There were seveal threads going on at the SL boards which were suggesting a huge lack of Lit Analysis in the upper cores. That and people were less than thrilled with the way the IG's were set up, so I thought i'd stay clear of that