Menu

To do physics or not?

DD wants to be a music major, and her dream college only requires 2 units of science for high school. Most other schools require 3... She really does not enjoy science; in fact, chemistry is just about killing her--she'll probably end up taking 2 years to do it. Do I have her do physics for insurance purposes? I'm thinking I really need to, but she has such a hard time fitting everything into her day (due to 4 hours of practicing each day--self-imposed, I hasten to add) that it would be really nice to just finish chemistry and be done. Any input?

I would urge her to do some basic level of physics, simply because as an adult your child will be required to think about and vote on issues having to do with physics and will need some background knowledge. This doesn't mean she has to do a class with labs, worksheets, tests, and a textbook necessarily. She could instead do some reading in current books that popularize physics issues for the general public: Physics For Future Presidents is one I've seen, but a browse at the bookstore should give you a few other titles. She could watch DVDs too: NOVA, Discovery Channel, PBS, Teaching Company. Make it easy, not "rigorous."

If she is up for it, she could also do a research project on the physics of musical sound. Hewitt's Conceptual Physics has a chapter on musical instruments (maybe you could get the book from the library and just use that chapter).

How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life is a terrific physics text for non-science majors. I think it's even less mathy than Conceptual Physics, and it also includes a chapter on music.

The Teaching Company has some great physics courses that are directed towards a general audience:

Physics in Your Life (a perfect supplement to the above text)

Impossible: Physics Beyond the Edge

The Physics of History

You could combine a couple of Teaching Co courses with some documentaries (Netflix/Science Channel/PBS/etc) and a simple book like Smithsonian's Science 101: Physics or the Wiley Self-Teaching Guide for a basic course. I like KarenAnne's suggestion of having your DD do a project on acoustics or something related to music.

Alternatively, if the other schools don't require that the third science be physics, your DD could do something like Astronomy, Earth Science, Marine Biology, or some other science that might be of more interest to her. I would definitely do a third science though, just to be safe.

Jackie

Oooo, those are good ideas. I didn't even think about other options like that... somehow my mind was stuck on heavy physics like I experienced. Isn't it fun to see how different our kids can be? I will look into some lighter physics or some other sciences. I still wish we could dump the science altogether, but if she doesn't get into the school she's hoping for, I suppose it's best to be prepared...thanks for the input!

...chemistry is just about killing her--she'll probably end up taking 2 years to do it.

What curriculum are you using for this? Is there any way you can switch to a simpler program? I wouldn't make your DD spend 2 years slogging through a science course she hates. Also, keep in mind that many schools don't cover all of a text. Most texts are designed to meet the standards of many different states and districts, so publishers throw in everything but the kitchen sink, allowing individual teachers (or school districts) to choose which chapters to cover and which to leave out. For example, Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry textbook has 19 chapters, but you only need to do chapters 1-12 to cover the basics.

Jackie

She's been doing Apologia Chemistry, which according to some posts I've read is supposed to be fairly lightweight, I guess...the original plan was to do Apologia Physics, too, but now I'm not so sure. One of the reasons I like Apologia, though, is it's relatively reasonable in price, and more importantly, it is set up for the student to work independently--all I have to do is grade...theoretically. :-) With 4 other children to homeschool, I really do not have the desire to have to put together a course on my own, or work with a text that does not have tests and answers already prepared for me. You've got a good point about not making her do the Chemistry, but I hate for all her hard work thus far (she's a little over halfway) to be wasted...I think I need to spend a little more time with her on it, for sure. But I guess I still need some ideas on complete science courses for non-technical students that will include tests and answers--maybe a Lifepac or something?

OH WOW, I just read a thread saying it was OK to count Apologia Physical Science as a high school credit! Is this true??? That would solve my whole problem--all we would have to do is finish chemistry, because she did the physical science in 8th grade... or is it too soon to start jumping up and down? :-)

I used Apologia Physical Science in 9th grade for my son, Biology in 10th grade, Chemistry in 11th grade, and Advanced Biology (Anatomy and Physiology) in 12th grade for my science-oriented son.

My daughter will use Apologia Phys Science in 9th grade, Biology in 10th grade, and I will probably switch her to Paradigm's Integrated Chemistry and Physics for 11th and 12th grade. She is NOT science-minded, and would never get through Apologia's chemistry. http://www.pacworks.com

Guest Barb B

I don't know which school is her dream school - but alot of colleges have 3 sciences required regardless of the intended major. Most schools require the same college prep high school courses of all admitted students.

Barb

I was a biology major in college and knew this is what I wanted to do all through high school. However, physics scared me. :001_smile: So I took anatomy/ physiology instead my senior year of high school. I know of other high school students who took environmental science as their third or fourth year (I think SWB's son did this, but I'm not sure if it was a replacement for physics or not).

Physics is traditional and can definitely be useful and interesting, but it is not essential imo.

What does she hope to do with the music degree? Maybe she could do a semester learning more about sound, light, and electricity. Those could be useful down the road, depending on what her goals are. An up front musician who understands lighting and the sound system is valuable.